New to me house, old well, need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

thaumaturge

Reaction score
Bought a smallish 50 yr old 4br house that hadn't been lived in for over a year and we have still not occupied. When shown prior to closing, the fixtures and water looked okay but with painfully low pressure. It's well and septic. I have not had to deal with a well et al in 25 years, but can DIY anything.

Given the ancient GE big box water softener, I figured that was problem #1. Problem #2 was an ancient metal pressure tank, but that's been replaced now. Once the softener is taken out of the loop, the pressure/volume is okay but the iron bacteria slime and staining are back with a vengeance (no surprise). The water is visibly yellowish when viewed in a clear container and the toilets show the characteristic iron settling out. I haven't shocked the well with chlorine yet to zap the bacteria anticipating new equipment installation.

Having done my homework I am trying to figure out if separate iron removal is really warranted at these levels, or if inefficient softener iron removal is good enough. We have no bad smells/gases to deal with so far.

The house is a downsize for 2 empty-nesters so the main thing is getting rid of the Iron and making sure the pressure doesn't drop in the process. I am in the process of ripping out fixtures so pipe condition is still unknown. As an aside, we actually hate too-soft water that many folks seem to love. My preliminary softener sizing came out to a 20,000 grains/week factoring in 150 gal/day use and compensating for the Iron.

Here are the NTL test results of note:

Calcium: 37.4 mg/L
Iron: 1.35 mg/L
Magnesium: 38.78 mg/L
Manganese: .009 mg/L
Potassium: 3.4 mg/L
Silica: 15.5 mg/L
Sodium: 42 mg/L
Zinc: .055 mg/L

Alkalinity: 350 mg/L
Hardness: 250 mg/L
Total Dissolved Solids: 350 mg/L
Turbidity: 19.0 NTU

pH: 7.6

Thanks in advance for any advice and system recommendations.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If the hardness doesn't bother you then a simple iron reduction system might be all you need. With the higher pH and elevated iron level, the softener will take quite a beating from the iron, but if you can probably get away with just a softener with chemical drip feed system for the brine tank. I am not a fan of specialty resins for iron reduction but many of our large custeomrs swear by the fine mesh resin for iron reduction and a simple citric acid or similar cleaning helps.
As to the sanitizing of the plumbing, do it now. Don't wait. You may need to do it a few times to get everything cleared up. It is a simple process and since the house has not been occupied for a whole, cleaning and sanitizing the plumbing a couple times wont hurt.

thaumaturge

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks