New shower valves not fastened to blocking

Users who are viewing this thread

bryant123

Reaction score
We had two bathrooms renovated and had new shower valves installed. After it has been tiled I noticed looking at a prior pic my tile guy had taken during renovation that the plumbers had not installed blocking, and the shower valve is suspended on the copper. I'm not even sure the shower riser is fastened to blocking. Fittings are fastened by Wirsbro crimp, and I'm curious if this is prone to causing leaks, or just annoying if the trim may move around. I won't be able to get over there to physically check movement for a couple days. Anyone with experience they can share on this? Thanks all

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its not prefered thats for sure if the trim holds it snug there are variables on a fiberglass install often the temporary plate can be left on and when trim is screwed tight its snug. if the shower head is tight and not flopping around you might be ok.
Usually its not a problem but I cant tell if everything feels tight though i think your ok.
I just did a shower and tub and they werent replacing the shower or tub valve it was strapped solid but I forgot to protect valve when tile guy put scratch coat ( we float the walls no hardibacker or durarock) Well I got there few hours late just in time to open it up and put a piece of 4 inch plastic pipe around valve for them to tile around.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If however your shower valve is not secured enough to hold your trim snug and water tight to the wall, you can try to create a shim that goes between the valve and the tiled wall to hold it in place.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If however your shower valve is not secured enough to hold your trim snug and water tight to the wall, you can try to create a shim that goes between the valve and the tiled wall to hold it in place.
absolutly ! manytimes wen its loose it just pulls out too far . pieces of wood or other material to shim is nessesary.
I hope its all ok , if not nothing you can do till you get there, but many times its ok

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks