New residential water well in North Texas. Running into problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Also from the lasT couple of cycles what I am seeing is after pump kicks on it take about 4 minutes to cloud up ( the cloudy water does not settle after time so I assume I am still cleaning out the “driller mud/ bentonite clay”) it then cleanup after another 10 minutes of runn time.
100% duty cycle may be picking up more clay, but it is more diluted and therefore not seen. Click Inbox, above.

Reach4

Reaction score
the only concern I have with this is it take about 4-5 minutes before I get cloudy water at the well head the way I’m doing it now so not sure if it clean it up or not.
How far above the slots is the pump? Could it be that it takes that long for the clay to travel thru the slots and up to the pump?

Dunner

Reaction score
How far above the slots is the pump? Could it be that it takes that long for the clay to travel thru the slots and up to the pump?

this is my working theory. So casing is 740 with a 10 foot spud then the screen. So the pump is part 100 ft above the screen.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah ha water pro and valve man I see what you are saying now. The pump will run at full pressure to fill the 80 gallon tank (which at 25 per minute pump rate will only a few minutes) The the slow drain off will rest the pump until it hit 40 psi then kick on to fill the tanks again. Rinse repeat.

the only concern I have with this is it take about 4-5 minutes before I get cloudy water at the well head the way I’m doing it now so not sure if it clean it up or not.

learning well more than I wanted to about wells ( pun intended)
an 80 gallon bladder tank will hold about 24 gallons of water. so if you ran it at 1/4 gpm, it would take 1 hr 36 minutes between cycles. at 1/2 gpm about 48 minutes. doing it over the course of 24 hrs will cause the pump to cycle 15 times (at 1/4 gpm), 30 times (at 1/2 gpm), 45 times (at 3/4 gpm), and 60 times (at 1 gpm). so at 1 gpm you'd cycle the pump every 25 minutes. just make sure you don't run the well dry. maybe check the water level initially (with the rock drop method), then after 8 hrs. personally, I'd stick with 1/2 gpm to cycle roughly every 50 min

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
this is my working theory. So casing is 740 with a 10 foot spud then the screen. So the pump is part 100 ft above the screen.
Following that theory, there would be a cloudy interval brought into the casing every pump-run. Since you find that the cloudy water does not settle out, then after a while, you should emit a band of cloudy water to the tank fill each time on average, but the cloudy band may arrive at a different time in the run.

Running the low rate water from the drain valve at the tank would keep the cloudy water out of the house plumbing. Or you could do your slow flow out at the well.

Shining your laser pointer through the flow may give a more distinct bright line during each period.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If it takes 4-5 minutes for the cloudy water to reach the surface, it would tank 6-8 big pressure tanks to keep the pump running long enough to do any good. Best to set it up on a timer and not use the pressure tank to develop the well. If it take 4-5 minutes to see cloudy water, set the timer to run the pump 6-8 minutes at a time. Then see how long it needs to stay off to repeat the cloudy water thing. Just let it run 6-8 minutes and be off 30 minutes or so until it clears up.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it takes 4-5 minutes for the cloudy water to reach the surface, it would tank 6-8 big pressure tanks to keep the pump running long enough to do any good. Best to set it up on a timer and not use the pressure tank to develop the well. If it take 4-5 minutes to see cloudy water, set the timer to run the pump 6-8 minutes at a time. Then see how long it needs to stay off to repeat the cloudy water thing. Just let it run 6-8 minutes and be off 30 minutes or so until it clears up.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TORK-120-240VAC-24-Hour-Indoor-SPDT-Percentage-Timer-Gray-EJWT/306742035 looks interesting for this.

https://www.geya.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/GRT8-S-Instruction-Manual.pdf is cheaper.. https://www.amazon.com/GAEYAELE-Asymmetric-DC12V-240V-Electronic-GRT8-S2/dp/B07B91LY1X/ref=sr_1_20

Last edited:

Dunner

Reaction score
I ran the hose of the pressure tank at 1/2 gallon per minute over night but still cloudy. Back in the workshop today running off the well head 15 minutes on 30 minutes off.

sure hope this cleans up soon!

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I ran the hose of the pressure tank at 1/2 gallon per minute over night but still cloudy. Back in the workshop today running off the well head 15 minutes on 30 minutes off.

either way, it may take some time to clear so don't get frustrated. like a fine wine. lol

Reach4

Reaction score

Cloudy as it was a few days ago?

Do you still have the jar/glass of cloudy from Friday or Saturday? Any settling?

If you don't have one, take a cloudy sample in a jar, and let it sit for up to a week.

Dunner

Reaction score
Update: Well driller is coming out tomorrow to put a time on it. Any idea if i can still pressure the house for toilet flushes while on timer? Or at least go down to workshop a couple of times a day to allow for flushing?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the pressure switch still going to be in line? If so, how about closing the valve temporarily when you want to flush.

If not, how about monitoring the pressure gauge in the house to get 30 psi or more while you close, or partially close, the valve at the well.

Here is a thought experiment. Anchor a bar of soap in a 20 ft pipe. You let it sit for a few hours. You start running water out of the pipe. Water got cloudy around the soap, and after a while you see a stretch of cloud water, and then not-cloudy. There is still some soap while running the water, but it is more dilute.

Turn off the water, and wait a few hours. Repeat.

Now if you just ran the water constantly for a few days, that soap is going to dissolve even faster than if you rest between runnings. But the soap is so diluted in the continuous stream, that you no longer see soap in the stream.

Is this model applicable to your clay thing, or is it not similar and you need the cycling? I am not taking bets.

Dunner

Reaction score
Is the pressure switch still going to be in line? If so, how about closing the valve temporarily when you want to flush.

If not, how about monitoring the pressure gauge in the house to get 30 psi or more while you close, or partially close, the valve at the well.

Here is a thought experiment. Anchor a bar of soap in a 20 ft pipe. You let it sit for a few hours. You start running water out of the pipe. Water got cloudy around the soap, and after a while you see a stretch of cloud water, and then not-cloudy. There is still some soap while running the water, but it is more dilute.

Turn off the water, and wait a few hours. Repeat.

Now if you just ran the water constantly for a few days, that soap is going to dissolve even faster than if you rest between runnings. But the soap is so diluted in the continuous stream, that you no longer see soap in the stream.

Is this model applicable to your clay thing, or is it not similar and you need the cycling? I am not taking bets.

Reach4, I am going to use this soap analogy with the well guy tomorrow. Very good thought and makes sense.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With the size of pipe and the gallons per minute I could figure the velocity in feet per second. But I am guessing less than 5 fps, which at 600' would take 2 minutes just to get the water out of the drop pipe and starts seeing what was coming in from the well. It would be good to know if the well starts making cloudy water immediately or if it flows in for a minute or so before being cloudy. With a camera you also might be able to tell where the cloudy water is coming in.

Reach4

Reaction score
From what I find, bentonite is not sub-micron. 1 micron is 1 thousandth of a millimeter. 1 micron is 1 micrometer.

I think this is interesting http://www.hmgawater.ca/blog/settling-soil but I think figure 2 is in mm rather than microns. But the pictures are helpful.

Dunner

Reaction score
Update: Still have the well running on a timer. Still get a bit of cloudy water upon startup (aprx 2 minutes after start up).
Plan is to keep running it on timer until it clears up. Driller seems to think this is fairly normal.

Reach4

Reaction score
Update: Still have the well running on a timer. Still get a bit of cloudy water upon startup (aprx 2 minutes after start up).
Plan is to keep running it on timer until it clears up. Driller seems to think this is fairly normal.
Good. It's not harmful, but you still don't want to see it.

Did you ever save a jar of the cloudy water?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks