Nest Smoke/CO Decectors

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My CO detector was beeping (battery low), and it was getting near its service life (the thing has an internal timer - stops working at 5-years) and my smoke detectors were reaching their recommended 10-year lifetime, so I checked into what's new. Ended up buying a couple of Nest, wired, combined smoke/CO detectors and just got them installed. The neatest thing about them is that they network themselves and do not use the trigger line (if it's there, you just cap it off). If they alarm, it will also send you an e-mail with updated status. Each one is setup and identifies itself for where it is installed, so when an alarm happens, they communicate and both alarm and tell you where and what's happening. My home is older, and I have always thought a detector in the basement might be useful, but figured I may not hear it because trying to network it (via traditional trigger line) would have been a major pain. I may pick up another one and install it there. I have a CO detector near the combustion appliances, but again, might not hear it in the basement...having them networked could be really helpful.

I might buy their smart thermostat...if one of the smoke/CO detectors goes off, it will talk to the thermostat and turn off the blower automatically.

Anyway, while not inexpensive, compared to buying a new smoke detector AND a CO detector that wouldn't have the same combined functionality, means the increased cost could easily be justified, at least to me.

Anyone used the Nest thermostat? Thoughts on how well it works? They're up to their 3rd Gen version. With some cars, you can set it up to tell the thermostat you're getting close to home, and it will automatically turn up the HVAC system, or monitor/control it from remote (pick a good password!).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks