Need water treatment advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottv

Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice on a water treatment system for my home. I have had it tested by the State lab and these are the results:

Ph 6.05
Chlorides 580mg/L
Hardness 52 G/gal
Iron .72 mg/L
Manganese .16 mg/L
TDS 1015mg/L

I had a water treatment company come in and they blame the chlorides for the green tinting and corrosion on the pipes, along with the bad taste.

Rather than a softener, they are recommending an anti-scalant pump along with a whole house RO system. They say the anti-scalant will keep the hardness from binding together and the RO will gather those minerals along with the chlorides.

Sounds good, but it comes in at $11,000.00. I am awaiting return calls from other companies.

Can anyone here shed some light on a viable DIY alternative that I could pursue?

Sorry for the length of the post, I await your input.

Thank you.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
A whole house RO is the last thing needed. Your pH is low and the RO will make it even lower. I would recommend a pH neutralizer followed by a water softener. If you have copper pipes, the green tinting is most likely coming because of the low pH.

Scottv

Reaction score
A whole house RO is the last thing needed. Your pH is low and the RO will make it even lower. I would recommend a pH neutralizer followed by a water softener. If you have copper pipes, the green tinting is most likely coming because of the low pH.
Is softener water OK to drink, I've heard softening increases sodium levels

Reach4

Reaction score
Is softener water OK to drink, I've heard softening increases sodium levels
Add the sodium, magnesium, and calcium mg/L up. If you don't put in a backwashing iron filter, I guess your would and in the mg/L for the iron also. Figure how many liters of water you drink per day including cooking water that you consume. Figure that is close to the miligrams of sodium your softened water will have. Add that to your food sodium. Figure about a 3400 mg typical or 2300 target sodium level, and make the decision.

You can use an RO filter, fed by softened water, for drinking if you think the sodium level is too high. Or you can drink unsoftened water if the water is suitable. The water out of your backwashing iron filter would be the good stuff. The calcium and magnesium in the hard water are good for drinking. Many find iron unpalatable. Those who grew up with it often like it. Use unsoftened water for plants.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
With the amount of hardness (52 grains per gallon) you may want to consider an under the sink RO system. But I would first install the softener, taste the water, and if it doesn't taste good enough for you get an RO after.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks