Need help with Water heater, running out of ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

DaytonLawvol

Reaction score
I have a Powerflex brand 50 gallon gas water heater at my home. I have been having problems with it on and off for about a month now.

The issue is the unit will call for hot water and the blower will come on and the fan will turn on but the burner will not light, the pilot light is on and remains on, no problem. I have replaced the thermocouple, drained the tank of the bottom 10-15 gallons and refilled and removed and reinstalled the burner unit. The pilot light will remain on without any issues.

I have been able to make the unit work properly by turning out the pilot light, letting it sit with the pilot light off for a few hours, relighting the pilot then turning on the system and the burner will fire up properly. Eventually after a few times of this working and having hot water for a couple of days, I’ll wake up in the morning to lukewarm water and my water heater blower blowing needlessly for hours on end and the burner refusing to light.

Any ideas?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your burner assembly has a flame sensor, which probably needs cleaning.

This is not a job for a typical homeowner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks