Burner Stays On, Water Turns Warm

Users who are viewing this thread

richard blaine

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 50 Gallon Ruud Achiever - Professional, gas with conventional thermostat, just over 1 year old, purchased by the previous homeowner. I only use the hot water once per day for a bath or shower. When I turn on the hot water, the pilot fires the burner and the water is hot. After a few minutes, the water gets colder: it goes from hot to warm, while the burner is still on. Then I shut off the hot water, and the burner stays on for at least 10 minutes. After about 30 minutes, I run the bath again, the burner fires and the water stays hot. It seems the tank runs out of residual hot water and does not heat up the incoming cold water fast enough. The plumber checked the dip tube (which is fine) and said the water should be consistently hot as long as the burner has fired and remains on.

richard blaine

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 50 Gallon Ruud Achiever - Professional, gas with conventional thermostat, just over 1 year old, purchased by the previous homeowner. I only use the hot water once per day for a bath or shower. When I turn on the hot water, the pilot fires the burner and the water is hot. After a few minutes, the water gets colder: it goes from hot to warm, while the burner is still on. Then I shut off the hot water, and the burner stays on for at least 10 minutes. After about 30 minutes, I run the bath again, the burner fires and the water stays hot. It seems the tank runs out of residual hot water and does not heat up the incoming cold water fast enough. The plumber checked the dip tube (which is fine) and said the water should be consistently hot as long as the burner has fired and remains on.
Should the water heater "cycle on" when the temperature drops below a certain level, even when there is no call for hot water? If that's the case, then the temperature sensor isn't working correctly. The burner only lights when I use the hot water.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Burner can come at any time that the probe sees a drop in temp can be from standby loss. 15-25° differential is common. Have you clocked the gas meter?

richard blaine

Reaction score
Burner can come at any time that the probe sees a drop in temp can be from standby loss. 15-25° differential is common. Have you clocked the gas meter?

Apparently the burner does not come on when the temp drops, or it comes on too infrequently to have enough residual hot water. The burner only lights when I use hot water -- then it stays on for about 15 minutes after the water has stopped. The plumber said it will eventually stop lighting.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Apparently the burner does not come on when the temp drops, or it comes on too infrequently to have enough residual hot water. The burner only lights when I use hot water -- then it stays on for about 15 minutes after the water has stopped. The plumber said it will eventually stop lighting.
New gas valve is needed. Call Rudd maybe they do something for you.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Why are you bothering with the gas WH. It's not dissigned for cycling Using the gas valve. A pilot uses very little gas. You need to look up the recovery rate. Heating 40-50 gallons of cold water takes a while.
Electric WH is what you want

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Why are you bothering with the gas WH. It's not dissigned for cycling Using the gas valve. A pilot uses very little gas. You need to look up the recovery rate. Heating 40-50 gallons of cold water takes a while.
Electric WH is what you want
You're comment is hard to understand. Gas water heaters are designed to cycle as needed. Electric does the same and takes longer to heat the water in general.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You're comment is hard to understand. Gas water heaters are designed to cycle as needed. Electric does the same and takes longer to heat the water in general.
Adjusting the thermostat everyday, no. You’re not saving much since you need to reheat the same water and dealing with temperature swings. Leave it at the normal temperature, around 120 degrees. Unless you are out of the home for several days, then you’ll be saving some. New WHs are very efficient since the energy act of 2010.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks