Need help identifying tub mounted faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Alex Bosco

Reaction score
The faucet is leaking water around handles when its turned on. Two of my local plumbing supply houses can't help identifying this and/or getting parts. My best guess this is a Sign of the Crab faucet. There is not enough clearance behind the tub to remove the faucet from the deck. If I can, I would like to replace both hot and cold cartridges/stems but can't figure out part numbers or anything. Thanks in advance.

faucet.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There may be 1 or 2 guys on this forum that could identify the faucet. But like HJ said, its not so much a matter of identification of the stem, which only would need replacing if the handle were stripped. You need to identify whether its brass seats are worn out and if so are they replacable. If they're not replacable, good luck finding someone who will dress / grind them smooth again. Pretty sure we tossed those tools in the last year or so.

I would start thinking about making the clearance large enough for replacement.

Alex Bosco

Reaction score
Thanks hj and Tuttles for your help. I removed stems and took photos that are attached above.

If the water is not leaking when the handle is OFF, does this mean the seat is OK? The stems appear to have rubber washers on the end held by flat head screws. The rubber is very hard and looks like some chucks of rubber are missing. On the spline side, the hot and cold stems have different rubber washers (in size and shape). Also it looks like the cold metal cap is different from the hot side.

The plumber is telling me that the only way to remove/replace the faucet is to demo the bath and replace the tub. According to him there is no other way to get behing the tub (there is another apartments' bath on the other side of the wall)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you look inside the valve there is the seat where the washer "sits" in the closed position. That seat needs to be perfectly smooth for the washer to make contact on its entire perimeter. Often what we see is the seat gets a Pit in it and tears up the rubber washer. You might be able to take a photo of the seat and you should be able to touch it with your finger and rotate to see if it feels smooth. If the seat is removable and replacable it will have either a square or hex shape on the inside of the circle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks