Need help identifying backwater valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Donny Jilek, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Donny Jilek

Donny Jilek New Member

Valve is from a house that was built mid 70s. Need help identifying brand and if still around. Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Have you checked with your company service dept?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

My first thought is this guy is a collector.

My second and third thoughts were that his basement flooded and ....

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  6. Donny Jilek

Donny Jilek New Member

I got some water in the basement, the plumber went through the valve and the flapper was corroded but cleared the main drain

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Flapper type sewage check valves are nearly guaranteed to leak. These are sometimes called normally closed. Debris will hold the flapper open after a while.

There is a better type called a normally open backwater valve that only closed in backup situations.

The gold standard in sewer backup protection is overhead sewers. Yes, it costs. There is another system that puts a pit in the yard. That pit has a normally open backwater valve, and a sump pump. The sump pump outputs injects downstream of the backwater valve.