Need help finding a bathtub

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by thomasthomas, Jan 25, 2008.

1. thomasthomas

thomasthomas New Member

Hello all, I am starting the processing of renovating our house. Its 43 years old. The most expense renovation will be the bathrooms. In the upstairs portion of the house is my mother's bathroom. She is a senior and I would like to install a walk-in bathtub. Can anyone give me any feedback on these tubs?
    On the lower-level, which is called the in-law apartment, which is where I live, I have a very small bathroom. 6ft wide by 10ft. I want to change the bathtub to something that I can soak in. (I'm 5'11") And I'm on a budget. The bathtub enclosure is an alcove. Measuring the length and width of the existing tub, the space is 60" x 30". So I need a tub that will fit into that space. However, I want a tub that is at least 27" deep. Any suggestions?

2. Dunbar Plumbing

Dunbar Plumbing Master Plumber

Service Plumber, Outdoor Temperature Relief Owner
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    I would visit big box stores, plumbing supply houses and gather product names to look up online what products fit your needs best.

If it's beyond average and ordinary in relation to size and shape, expect to go well beyond your budget.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    bathtub

A deep tub will seldom come in anything narrower than 36", and I would be very hesitant to install a walk in tub on the second floor. They have a tendency for the door seals to leak, and even if "lifetime" warranteed, it still takes time to have it repaired.

5. sarahjennifer

sarahjennifer New Member

The tub is a matter of choice and I would suggest you go to a plumbing supply or try the Disabled Baths and look at the various tubs available.

Good luck

6. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

I would avoid baths that have textured floors. I just installed a Kholer Villager and the tub looks like it's been there for 10 years. I am so totally disappointed.

Tom