Daily bathtub loud pop noise even when not in use

Users who are viewing this thread

Ifew552

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I wasn't sure where to turn so I've created an account to ask this question. Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Background:
1. The house is 10 months old.
2. Bathtub seems to be an acrylic alcove tube and it's rare for anyone to use the bathtub as only guests would use it.

Issue:
1. For about a month, I've notice loud "pop" noise coming from the bathroom, which I have tracked it to the tub.
2. It is loud pop and I have pin pointed the exact location and it is coming from a spot half way between overflow and drain. I am highly certain it's a tub poping noise.
3. This happens multiple times in the Morning and also at night. It is worse in the Morning then at night. During the day is not as bad or almost non-existent.

Other info:
1. Can this be tub flexing due to temperature change? I don't recall hearing this in the summer.
2. I was good about taking pictures of the build so I will attach it incase it helps.

Thank you for your feedback in advance as this is driving me nuts. Popping noise is sometimes very loud to the point I can hear it from other side of the house. I am trying to gather as much information as I can so that I have something in my pocket incase builder says tough luck.

Tub 1.jpg

tub2.jpg

tub3.jpg

tub4.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It lookes like the end of your tub is "floating". Did they leave that like that?

Ifew552

Reaction score
It lookes like the end of your tub is "floating". Did they leave that like that?
Thank you for the feedback. Not sure if i know enough about this topic to answer your question. By "floating," are you saying there is nothing underneath? When I tap on the bottom of the tub, front half is definitely hollow underneath where as back half is solid.... Would this cause the issue i am having?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. Not sure if i know enough about this topic to answer your question. By "floating," are you saying there is nothing underneath? When I tap on the bottom of the tub, front half is definitely hollow underneath where as back half is solid.... Would this cause the issue i am having?
I would think that yes it would.

Ifew552

Reaction score
Hi guys, some additional update. Turns out popping noise is coming from all three sides (sides against the walls or sides with flanges) and noise is from upper portion of the tub Noise. Loudest pop is from a spot half way between overflow and drain...

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi guys, some additional update. Turns out popping noise is coming from all three sides (sides against the walls or sides with flanges) and noise is from upper portion of the tub Noise. Loudest pop is from a spot half way between overflow and drain...
It definitely needs reset.

Ifew552

Reaction score
It definitely needs reset.
Thank you guys for the feedback. Rest as in they need to take the tub out and reinstall? I am curious as to why this popping noise is only happening during mid morning and night....? Where I suspect temperature change (both in and outside) happens frequently

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or a PRO.

I don't know why it would make the noises during certain times of the day ... I have never heard of that before. Maybe some of the plumbers on this blog will have come across it before.

A few thoughts:
- Does it make the noise when you walk around it? That might be easier to replicate for the builder.
- If not, maybe you can record it for them.
- It does not look like they screwed the tile flange to the studs. Do the instructions for that tub call for that?
- Why did they cut out the drywall above the tub? Looks like it was done after the fact. Did they notice and try to fix this issue?
- John Gayewski has indicated the tub does not look like it is appropriately supported. This is beyond my expertise, but I would raise it with your builder.

Ifew552

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or a PRO.

I don't know why it would make the noises during certain times of the day ... I have never heard of that before. Maybe some of the plumbers on this blog will have come across it before.

A few thoughts:
- Does it make the noise when you walk around it? That might be easier to replicate for the builder.
- If not, maybe you can record it for them.
- It does not look like they screwed the tile flange to the studs. Do the instructions for that tub call for that?
- Why did they cut out the drywall above the tub? Looks like it was done after the fact. Did they notice and try to fix this issue?
- John Gayewski has indicated the tub does not look like it is appropriately supported. This is beyond my expertise, but I would raise it with your builder.
Thanks for the feedback again.

1. Tub makes the noise even if I do not step on it.
2. yes i have the recording. It's definitely a loud pop.

I will definitely take this up with the builder. I just needed more info so that they don't try to brush me off. Thanks again.

MCKAYBUCHANAN

Reaction score
Hey! Can you update with what happened? I’m having the exact same issues and am wondering what it ended up being.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks