Need help/advice with plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer2018

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my 1st time on this forum so please bear with me about my lack of plumbing knowledge :)
I just purchased my house and ran into 3 of the following plumbing issues:

*I replaced my kitchen sink with a deeper basin sink and need help with re-doing the plumbing setup. Fortunately the garbage disposal is 1 inch higher than the drain.. phew!
*The old shower valve needs to be replaced with a new, updated one. I assume I need to (1) purchase a new threaded copper pipe, (2) insert it in the new valve, (3) cut the existing copper pipe, and then (4) solder the new copper pipe with the existing copper pipe?
*I replaced my bathroom sinks and the drains/pipes don't line up correctly.

Can someone please help me? Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• Kitchen 1.jpg
    Kitchen 1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 247
  • Kitchen 2.jpg
    Kitchen 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Shower 1.jpg
    Shower 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Shower 2.jpg
    Shower 2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Shower 3.jpg
    Shower 3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Bathroom 1.jpg
    Bathroom 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 228

Reach4

Reaction score
*I replaced my kitchen sink with a deeper basin sink and need help with re-doing the plumbing setup. Fortunately the garbage disposal is 1 inch higher than the drain.. phew!
See the picture below. It shows the output of a disposal to be 1.75 inches higher than the trap arm going into the wall. For your setup, what would your corresponding dimension be?

index.php

DIYer2018

Reaction score
See the picture below. It shows the output of a disposal to be 1.75 inches higher than the trap arm going into the wall. For your setup, what would your corresponding dimension be?

index.php
Thank you for Reach for your response and picture! To answer your question, I won't be able to measure it until later this evening.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
for your valve, all you may have to do is replace the old insides with the new ones, depending on their ages. Otherwise, unsolder the 3 pipes from the valve, clean the ends of the three tubes and insert them into the new valve. Then solder the connections.

Reach4

Reaction score
Regarding the lavatory drain in bathroom 1, show us a picture taken from the left where the arrow indicates. Include the area at the wall around the white, and the area where the white connects to the black.
img_1.jpg

DIYer2018

Reaction score
Regarding the lavatory drain in bathroom 1, show us a picture taken from the left where the arrow indicates. Include the area at the wall around the white, and the area where the white connects to the black.
View attachment 46546

Attachments

• Bathroom 2.jpg
    Bathroom 2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Bathroom 3.jpg
    Bathroom 3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Bathroom 4.jpg
    Bathroom 4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 216

Reach4

Reaction score
That looks promising. I presume the pipe through the wall is ABS with some dust or paint on it. If you have enough sticking out to let you cut off the first 22.5 fitting, and if you can clean off the pipe, you could glue on a new 22.8 22.5 fitting that you can attach a trap adapter to. Make sure you get the right slope on what you glue.

Once you have the trap adapter, you can use slip fittings. Life will be good. The slip p-trap will let you attach to the tailpiece up to about 3 inches from the line straight out of the trap adapter.

So your next action item is to confirm that is an ABS pipe through the wall, and see if it wipes/washes clean.

I am picturing these that you glue these into place:
1-1/2" Hub ABS DWV 22-1/2° Elbow
i079300-3.jpg

1-1/2" Spigot x Slip Joint ABS DWV Trap Adapter
i014550-3.jpg

Then a slip p-trap goes into the trap adapter.

Last edited:

DIYer2018

Reaction score
That looks promising. I presume the pipe through the wall is ABS with some dust or paint on it. If you have enough sticking out to let you cut off the first 22.5 fitting, and if you can clean off the pipe, you could glue on a new 22.8 fitting that you can attach a trap adapter to. Make sure you get the right slope on what you glue.

Once you have the trap adapter, you can use slip fittings. Life will be good. The slip p-trap will let you attach to the tailpiece up to about 3 inches from the line straight out of the trap adapter.

So your next action item is to confirm that is an ABS pipe through the wall, and see if it wipes/washes clean.

I am picturing these that you glue these into place:
1-1/2" Hub ABS DWV 22-1/2° Elbow
i079300-3.jpg

1-1/2" Spigot x Slip Joint ABS DWV Trap Adapter
i014550-3.jpg

Then a slip p-trap goes into the trap adapter.
Thank you Reach for all your help. What exactly is a 22.8 fitting?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks