Need advice (Vent issue)

Users who are viewing this thread

Djmik2000

Reaction score
New to the forum
Remodeling my 2-floor master bath. The wife wanted to add a niche in the back wall of the shower. Once we dropped the wall we realized there is an air vent in the middle of that
IMG_1987.jpeg
wall where the niche was to be installed.
My question is: can that vent be moved or touched at all or should i just leave it alone?
Really appreciate your advice
Thanks..Mike

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
The vent CAN be rerouted, but it would be a lot easier to just put the niche in the next stud bay.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
So a few things to consider.

IF that is a sink on the other side of the wall, the vent must extend Vertically to a point 6" above the flood level of the fixture. Vertical is considered from 45 to 90 degrees from flat
horizontal.
If that isn't a sink or other fixture, or if the vent is coming from a fixture located on a floor below, then you can offset the vent using 90's and travel horizontally under and around the niche.

905.4 Vertical rise of vent.

Every dry vent shall rise vertically to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood level rim of the highest trap or trapped fixture being vented.
Is that a sink drain on the backside of the wall? If so, then the vent must rise Vertically (at a 45° or greater) to a point no less than 6" above the flood level of the sink or fixture. If that Taped area is the niche, that might be difficult. If you're just using one of the bays, then it should be easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks