Navien npe-240a2 mostly only making luke warm water

Users who are viewing this thread

ne31097

Reaction score
Navien npe 249a2 installed in January 2023 and working fine until three weeks ago. Upon request for hot water, flow rate only reads 0.5 gpm even though actual flow is more like 3-4. Hot temp out is only a temp rise of about 5 degrees (75deg f). No error codes. Sometimes upon hot water request it just keeps cycling between startup and post purge. Sometimes it reads 3-4 gpm and actually makes hot water, but this is becoming very rare. Again no error codes ever. I’m doubtful it is the flow sensor (don’t worry, plumber is replacing it when the part comes) because it is a strange failure to read 0.5 gpm. I know the impeller is turning, there is no gunk or scale in the screens or flow sensor. Could it be anything else?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Your Navien is under both parts and labor warranty. Use plumbers listed on Navien's site so they can get paid with ease (though, Navien takes two months to pay us, it is still reliable). The flow sensor is not reading correctly. I have encountered this, even on newish units and replacing flow sensor solves the problem.

ne31097

Reaction score
Your Navien is under both parts and labor warranty. Use plumbers listed on Navien's site so they can get paid with ease (though, Navien takes two months to pay us, it is still reliable). The flow sensor is not reading correctly. I have encountered this, even on newish units and replacing flow sensor solves the problem.
I’m working with navien plumber. Just worried flow sensor is not the issue. Good to know it should be fixed when flow sensor arrives.

vort1967

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with only luke warm water most of the time with low flow on the sensor. I replaced the flow sensor and still the same issue. I also descaled the unit and it was clean. I have recirculation turned off.

Machine_Ruse

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with only luke warm water most of the time with low flow on the sensor. I replaced the flow sensor and still the same issue. I also descaled the unit and it was clean. I have recirculation turned off.

I know it's a month late, but if you haven't fixed the problem you should look at the check valve. A sticking check valve would cause all of the symptoms you describe. It's about $3 and 10 minutes to replace. See here:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks