Nail cracked PVC on toilet drain, can it be patched/filled?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Craig Cannon, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Craig Cannon

Craig Cannon New Member

Today I noticed my floor in the garage where the drain pipe goes down into the ground was wet. I started searching for the leak and long story short, I finally stuck a garden hose down the drain (with toiled removed) and started removing drywall. What I found was a piece of PVC is cracked and leaking. It's not a joint, but a straight section between two fittings. Almost positive it was hit by a nail even though nothing is visible there now.

Since this is not under pressure, can it be patched with epoxy or similar? Replacing the piece will be very difficult based on it being right behind the stud and a brick exterior wall on the other side.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2020
  2. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

You can patch it as a temp fix with a lot of things

Sylvan likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Sylvan likes this.
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I might cut the rubber of a shielded coupler long-ways. Slide that over the pipe, with the slice far from the pipe flaw. Then slide the shield over that, and tighten. I am not a pro.

Jeff H Young likes this.
  5. Craig Cannon

Craig Cannon New Member

I cant get all the way around it. Rubber with hose clamps works on pipes under pressure so I know it work here, but I cant get to the back side at all.

JB Weld has epoxys that work on PVC, so thinking I may give that a try. Anyone have any experience with Waterweld?
    https://www.jbweld.com/product/waterweld-epoxy-putty

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

only done it on abs so wouldnt fix the same way but that JB weld product looks worth a try

7. Craig Cannon

Craig Cannon New Member

I decided to give the Waterweld a try and it worked as described. After reading info and reviews, I have little reason to doubt that it won't be a permanent fix, but I'll keep a check on it over time. The good news is it's in an exterior wall that's in the garage, so have a small section at the floor where I can check for any moisture.

Jeff H Young likes this.
  8. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

good to hear! no hurry to patch dry wall but I think you got it.