Mysterious raised toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

jb1677

Reaction score
We just moved into a house where the basement was finished by a previous owner. In the finished basement bathroom both the shower and the toilet are raised above floor level.

I assume the shower is raised (6” or so) because the owner didn't want to bust concrete to place the drain where it needed to be for the shower drain, I dont't like it but I will accept it.

What I can't rationalize is why someone would raise the toilet? What purpose could this 1" lift serve?

IMG_6497.jpeg

Everything works fine, no leaks, but i have to admit it's taking all the willpower i have to not start ripping things apart to understand WHY!!!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It was raised likely because the drain line was too high in the floor to get a proper fitting for the toilet. A closet elbow is the fitting that allows the tightest radius for a toilet. However not all plumbers are familiar with this fitting.

Pulling the toilet and seeing what is directly below it will tell you a lot without needing to demo any walls or floor. You should be able to see what material was used, which fitting is directly below and the height of the drain where it goes horizontal.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tuttles brings up obvious possibilities it wasent done just for kicks bust it all out and remodel maybe concider an overhead sewer Easterners like those less chance of sewage backing up in basement . its spendy but no reason not to have what you want except for the cost