Tub spout connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetboy55

Reaction score
I have a old Delta tub spout right now. It unscrews and what I see is a fitting sweated to the pipe. The fitting is threaded near the wall, but also has a o- ring about an inch further (away from the wall). The spout has threads right at the wall end. What kind of connection is this called? I've seen names like "1/2 NPT" , "3/4 NPT" , "1/2 male pipe" , "1/2 male threaded" , "3/4 make threaded". It's making it hard to find a new replacement, I don't really want to sweat a new connection or change the connection type. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Delta diverter... close...

quick notes:

Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter, Chrome
(RP17453 is same but plastic) RP5836 similar but adapter RP33794 has set screw.(confirmed)
https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP33794 is the setscrew adapter.
It may sit closer to the wall than the one I have.

Very nice system. Many spouts available.

Product Details for the Delta RP17454
6" Tub Spout Diverter Replacement Part

Jetboy55

Reaction score
The RP33794 looks exactly like what is on my pipe currently. Sorry no pictures, I haven't been home yet today.

Jetboy55

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a after market spout because Delta spouts in black are so expensive. That's why I want to understand the size and nomenclature of the Delta adapter that is on my pipe. After further research I think it is 1/2 NPS, sound right?

Jetboy55

Reaction score
Yes I have, in fact I painted my Delta shower trim that was chrome originally. Used a sealer after the paint. I don't know how long it will hold up, but it looks good now. Was going to replace the spout, thinking it wouldn't cost much, but if I paint the one I gave, I guess it might be better, because I'll be able to keep the Delta pull down that I have, which works really well.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a after market spout because Delta spouts in black are so expensive. That's why I want to understand the size and nomenclature of the Delta adapter that is on my pipe. After further research I think it is 1/2 NPS, sound right?
Right, if not soldered. If the galvanized nipple comes loose, use a brass nipple with the new spout.

Those Delta spouts make it easy to get the distance from the wall just right. With some spouts, you might have to make a custom length nipple. Others you screw in a piece of copper pipe with a MIP adapter, slide the new spout into place, and tighten a set screw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks