Mechanical float switches for potable water

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Bryn, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Bryn

Bryn New Member

I'm presently setting up a cistern system for my drilled well, and looking at mechanical (non mercury) tethered float switches. Only found 1 , (a Rhombus), so far that is actually rated for potable water, and it came out in 2016. All the rest are listed as water /effluent or just sewage, and I'm wondering what the real difference is other than price. What have people been using reliably in their potable systems, any recommendations?

2. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    That potable water stuff is a bunch of crap. Those switches are made out of the same stuff and probably in the same factory. You are just paying way more to have a company verify it is good for potable water. Nobody ever died from a switch that wasn't certified for potable water. Now we are just paying for bigger government, and it is not making us any safer.

Bryn likes this.
  5. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

Reminds me of my beef with throwing paint away. You can’t throw pair away but you can paint a board and throw the board away. You need to be “licensed” to throw psh t away. And those licensed people throw it in the same place you were going to throw it. Oh, but they paid for a license.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The suggested way today for latex paint is to leave the lid off until the paint dries out. Then throw the can away.

For oil paint they would like you to use the hazardous waste route, but I see your point.

7. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Active Member

Mud rotary well driller, pump installer
    Square D makes one that looks just like a pressure switch but uses a float...you won't need a relay or contactor for anything less than 2 HP.

8. Bryn

Bryn New Member

Thanks guys, my suspicions too! The bean counters at work, everything way over regulated creating more jobs for bureaucrats, and more cost for regular folks! Anyone tried out this option or something similar for water supply level control?

https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/LevelGuard-Z24800ALZ/p9173.html
    • LevelGuard™ Electronic Sump Pump Control Z24800A1Z
    • The most dependable electronic switch on the market today
    • “Field-Effect” Sensing Technology
    • Reliably detects water level and solid-state digital switching
    • NO MOVING PARTS
    • Eliminates the #1 failure mode in traditional sump pump systems

9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Sump-pump switches are "pump down" AKA normally open.

To fill a cistern, you need the opposite.

10. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Yeah you need a pump up switch, not a pump down. Otherwise fine.