MC in EMT

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm looking at a situation in a food prep area in a sandwich shop.

They don't have required exit signs over the doors.

In the food prep area the panels are flush with the walls. I need to run MC from the new exit signs (2) to the panel. The walls are covered in FRP (Fiberglass reinforced plastic) and the general contractor is not wild about me cutting a slot from the top of the panels to the ceiling (about five feet).

Can I run the MC in EMT from the ceiling to the panel? They need to scrub the walls occasionally, and I could see an inspector not liking scrubbing MC, to say nothing of the potential for damage to the MC.

Is it OK to run MC in EMT for about five feet?

Stuff

Reaction score
1 - Why not just use EMT for the entire run? Or an MC to EMT fitting to transition properly? They even make a dual MC to EMT (it's 3/4" I think).
2 - What about wiremold instead? Not watertight but looks a whole lot better.
3 - Otherwise what you are proposing is OK as the EMT is considered a sleeve for physical protection only.

Also - how are you planning on connecting to the flush panel?

Stuff

Reaction score
If you are already cutting holes then cut another small one a few inches below the ceiling and then fish the MC through.

Reaction score
1 - Why not just use EMT for the entire run? Or an MC to EMT fitting to transition properly? They even make a dual MC to EMT (it's 3/4" I think).
2 - What about wiremold instead? Not watertight but looks a whole lot better.
3 - Otherwise what you are proposing is OK as the EMT is considered a sleeve for physical protection only.

Also - how are you planning on connecting to the flush panel?
1) It's above a drop ceiling, and is pretty high. I will use a fitting to tie the MC to the EMT, but continue the MC in the EMT.
2) I'm really committed to working with the MC, it is the quickest legitimate method, and I'm going to be working after hours as it is. Appearance is not a big deal, this is out of view of the public. Besides, there's no need to up charge the customer.

Reaction score
If you are already cutting holes then cut another small one a few inches below the ceiling and then fish the MC through.

The stud space is already filled with half a dozen runs of MC, no way would I get a clean fish. I'd have to cut the wall from the ceiling to the panel, and the general contractor is not wild about that approach.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks