Lowering P trap for tub drain clearance...?

Users who are viewing this thread

J Blow

Reaction score
I'm replacing an old standard tub with a 2 piece freestanding tub so purchased a Maax F2 drain system where you install a receptacle type piece in the floor where you can leave a tailpipe like piece on the tub and just drop it into the drain.

My problem is that this unit, where it connects to the P trap under the floor, is now a few inches lower than the drain line. Usually the drain line 90s to the p trap, which sits below the tub obviously but I'm needing to add a few inches down between the 90 and the trap which will make the trap about 3-4 inches lower than the drain line than it was before. Doesn't seem like it would be a problem but maybe I'm missing how it changes, the pressure, flow rate, etc...?

J Blow

Reaction score
Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words... Is this ok?
20230305_175822.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words... Is this ok?
No.

(1) I don't think you can use a u-bend and a vent-tee to make a trap. (2) The trap seal depth, the height between the red lines in the markup I did below, needs to be in the range 2" to 4".

So you either need to figure out how to raise your trap, or you need to lower the requisite drains.

Cheers, Wayne

20230305_175822.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive seen them with maybe a inch between the hubs but not like that. I dont really do installations like that so cant guess how well it would work obviously water will go through there but long term who knows how much you can get away with Im not sure of the maximum trap seal permitted. BTW the return bend is backward ( pet peeve)

J Blow

Reaction score
No.

(1) I don't think you can use a u-bend and a vent-tee to make a trap. (2) The trap seal depth, the height between the red lines in the markup I did below, needs to be in the range 2" to 4".

So you either need to figure out how to raise your trap, or you need to lower the requisite drains.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 91159
If I'm understanding correctly, this is ok as long as the area between the 2 red lines is less than 4"? Right now it's exactly 4 inches and I do have room to cut it down another inch or so.

Thanks!

J Blow

Reaction score
Ive seen them with maybe a inch between the hubs but not like that. I dont really do installations like that so cant guess how well it would work obviously water will go through there but long term who knows how much you can get away with Im not sure of the maximum trap seal permitted. BTW the return bend is backward ( pet peeve)
Right now there's 2 inches of pipe in there... I'm pretty sure I have room to cut it down to one so I think this will work. Thanks!

J Blow

Reaction score
No.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 91159
Also, point 1 noted.

Thanks.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So the tub should dump into the right side of the u bend and drain on the left?
No, he's referring to the way the u-bend itself is not quite symmetrical, if you look at the two "corners". The fixture drains into the left and out the right in your picture.

As to modifying a u-bend to increase the trap seal, not sure if I would do that, but if I had to, I'd be inclined to use the parts provided and flip the elbow around, so the street end is the outlet. Or maybe stick a very short segment of pipe and a coupling between the u-bend and the outlet elbow.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
people put the return bends backward all day long every day i dont think it matters much or at all perhaps, just wrong

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks