Low lead yard hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

GSM

Reaction score
The most recent time that I ordered a yard hydrant I noticed that they also had a low lead version and it was actually cheaper. This leads me to wonder if there is a reason that the regular version is preferred? (Does the different construction result in better performance or longevity, etc.)? Or is this just a supply/demand deal.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Low Lead alloys are mostly copper. They will turn green and corrode like the Statue of Liberty. Lead is a good thing and can make plumbing last forever. As long as you don't have acidic or hot water the lead will not leach out of the metal. Probably cheaper because they sell more of them as many people are unjustifiably afraid of lead.

GSM

Reaction score
Low Lead alloys are mostly copper. They will turn green and corrode like the Statue of Liberty. Lead is a good thing and can make plumbing last forever. As long as you don't have acidic or hot water the lead will not leach out of the metal. Probably cheaper because they sell more of them as many people are unjustifiably afraid of lead.
Great thank you for the response. This is a much better answer than I received from the online seller of the hydrants!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks. It is almost impossible to get help on line or even if you walk into a store these days. Customer service is a thing of the past. After helping people with their water systems, many times I get a call back wanting more help. They ask me about all kinds of things from septic systems to roofing. Lol! I guess I am just an old guy who has been around and done a lot of things. I must look the part because when I go into a supply or box store, people stop me and ask questions as if I worked there. If I wore orange I would never get out of there. :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the leadfree under .25 percent lead been required in the USA around 10 years ( I know my code requires it) . Whether a little lead hurts anyone or not isn't my call , personally I follow code on this . In CA many millions of dollars probably hundreds of millions removing lead from school piping Farce? maybe I don't really think about it I comply

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider a stainless steel yard hydrant. That should deal with your concerns.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just haven't studied it enough to have an opinion. I think high amounts of lead are likely unhealthy, but I don't doubt that some this is overkill. I'm not worried about a brass fitting on a outside bib but its not technically isolated .
I think we get a lot of not so good info to push agenda In so many issues

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks