Loud water flow in new copper pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Aknajera

Reaction score
Hello,

We are in the midst of a kitchen remodel and we went ahead and replaced all the old plumbing in our home with copper. The water comes into our home from the rear and there is a line going to our front yard that supplies the front yard hose.
When I turn the front hose on, the water flow sound in the home is extremely loud (in my opinion). We had the floors opened (raised foundation) while the plumbing was being installed and the drywall wasn't up yet. I assumed it would be quieter once those items were in place but it hasn't been the case.
The person who installed the new copper lines attached them to the wood flooring supports (joists I think using these style items-[
upload_2020-2-9_17-58-26.png

In everyone's opinion, will it help with the sound and is it worth the effort it to go under and install the plastic stud suspension clamps or something similar. I was also thinking of covering the exposed pipe with long pipe insulation.

Please let me know if you think this will help with the loudness of the pipes.
thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-9_17-56-16.png
    upload_2020-2-9_17-56-16.png
    138 KB · Views: 129

Mliu

Reaction score
Anything that helps isolate the pipes from the structure of the house will help reduce the transmission of noise. Plastic is better than metal. Rubber is better than plastic.

Whether changing the straps will reduce the noise enough for you is based on a number of factors: how loud the noise is, what structural members are supporting the pipes and where they are located, the composition of your flooring, how well you isolate the pipes, how much background noise is in your home, how sensitive you are to the sound. It's impossible for us to estimate or predict these factors.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size pipe are we talking about here?

The Copper INstitute has a free handbook on sizing copper piping. A couple of cardinal rules, using cold water, do not exceed 8fps velocity in the pipes. That's not all that many gpm. A hose bib can likely exceed that value. Doing so can cause flow noises, excessive dynamic pressure drop, and in extreme situations, erode the pipe from the inside out. Throwing in some elbows doesn't help with either the pressure or the noises.

THere are a bunch of different clamps that might work out better for you, but if it's excessive flow rate, you may need a larger supply line and branch off with the 1/2" copper to things along the way. To get maximum flow at the hose, keep it 3/4" all the way to it.

Aknajera

Reaction score
Thank you, it is a 3/4" pipe that is making the noise for now. I went under the house yesterday and added plastic isolators that hold the pipe slightly off of the joist. I also installed some foam pipe insulation. Neither seemed to make a difference. I may just be sensitive to the noise. I will wait until all flooring is in and all other plumbing fixtures are set up and test again. It may not be so bad with the normal household noises going on.
Thanks for the replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks