Long Main Drain Run on Infrequently used Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Arceneaux

Reaction score
We bought a new construction home 7 months ago. It is a 4 bedroom/3bath home. The master and downstairs guest bathrooms come together at the main drain then run 20 feet or so outside the house. The other bathroom (upstairs), kitchen and utility room join the main drain just a few feet from exiting the house.

Only my wife and I are in the home daily with occasional (monthly at best) visits from our kids.

My wife works from the home with one of the two guest bedrooms serving as her office. Because of this, she uses the downstairs guest toilet during the day.

Since we moved in, the main drain has clogged but only after using this downstairs guest bathroom. We have increased the flush from 1.28 to 1.6 gpf and changed paper but we still get clogs. We have had the entire system checked and everything (slope and other design factors) appear good. No one uses excessive paper amounts and no feminine products are flushed, ever.

I am wondering if, because each flush only moves product a few feet and there is no regular use of the shower/sink that would provide flow to further product along, if this lack of "regular flow" on an almost daily basis, could create a situation where product accumulates to the point of clogging the main drain just past the juncture of the master and downstairs guest bathrooms (as this is where the blockage occurs).

Just seeking thoughts as everything we have tried everything, from changing habits, products and having the system fully checked, to no avail. I'm just thinking that the lack of a higher volume of flow would allow accumulation. Thoughts appreciated!

I uploaded a general schematic for info. Don't know if its much help though!

Attachments

• Main Drain Flow Drawing.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Since we moved in, the main drain has clogged but only after using this downstairs guest bathroom. We have increased the flush from 1.28 to 1.6 gpf and changed paper but we still get clogs.

I suggest you not put strong chemicals or insecticides down your toilets or drains. I wonder if you have a fine insect screen over your roof vent(s). I suspect those are not a good idea. I am not a pro.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/in-praise-of-the-drain-fly.66239/

Last edited:

Robert Arceneaux

Reaction score
The clog occurs just downstream of the junction of the downstairs guest and master baths. However, it only occurs after using the downstairs guest bath.

Reach4

Reaction score
The clog occurs just downstream of the junction of the downstairs guest and master baths. However, it only occurs after using the downstairs guest bath.
That junction may not have been plumbed properly.

If whoever did the camera work was related to the contractor, they may not have been eager to disclose a flaw.

Concrete slab construction?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks