Leaking well line to home

Users who are viewing this thread

OLDMARINE

Reaction score
I'm new here. Thanks for this excellent DIY forum. I have a 40 year old well; the pump was replaced a month ago. There is a water leak in the front of the house. With the well pump on, well water pools and runs below along the front of the home foundation and exits to the back yard. With the well pump off and pressure tank zero, the water flow stops. The well pump pressure tank closet is damp now (was never damp before the water leak). I have a very good idea at the location where the water line from the well enters the home. Does anyone know how deep the average line is that runs from the well to the home foundation wall that enters the home at the pressure tank closet? Thanks in advance. OldMarine

OLDMARINE

Reaction score
Thanks for responding Fitter 30. In Maryland the frost line depth is thirty inches. I read another option is installing a liner through the original black water line. That would be much less expensive and I wouldn't have to back hoe the front yard to replace the entire original 40 year old black water line.

Has anyone here ever relined the original black water tube from the well casing to the home foundation?

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I agree with Fitter30, it *should* be below the frost line. But the real answer of the depth would likely depend on the physical layout/properties of the lot when the system was installed, and what the installer actually did. Your leak could be visible from along the line but not at the actual break point, simply because the water is pooling and not percolating back down into the ground due to the characteristics of the soil make-up, rocks, other surface water, etc.

Since your pump is new, maybe a way to find where the leak is would be by creating back pressure. I would install a shut off valve as close to where the feed pipe appears to where you can work with it comfortably, like at the house... then close the valve. Run the pump continuously without a pressure shut off switch in the way to see where you get the most activity, like the fastest water appearance to the surface. If your pump is sending its water to a closed valve, then the only water going anywhere past the pumps impeller will come out where there is a hole. This may not work 100%,(or at all) because as in the scenario I described before, the water under pressure might follow an already established channel beyond the leak and only be visible where it meets the path of least resistance. No matter what, if you are making puddles around your home, it's likely your next tool will be a shovel of some sort.

OLDMARINE

Reaction score
Thank you both for the excellent feedback.

Please watch this Youtube video starting at 3:45. A Well Tech chose to run a new line inside the one inch black original plastic line.

Two viable options at this point.

Option 1: A total water line replacement. Estimated cost is $5000.00 to $12,000.00 to run a new line, with back hoe machine and additional trucks, labor hours, etc. Depending on where the leak is may involve a back hoe (more cost), tearing up the front yard (restoration cost), more exploring to find the leak; much more time and cost for sure depending on the scenario.

Option 2: Run line inside the original one inch black line. Much cheaper. I can do this repair. No yard restoration from back hoe, big truck tire ruts, etc.

The Tech is very excellent, but he is VERY EXPENSIVE.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks