Leaking American Standard bathtub stem at handle & spout

Users who are viewing this thread

LeeMort

Reaction score
Hello- any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I'll give some details first:

I have a 2 handle bathtub faucet with American Standard 1520 stems with bib seats, stem and seat pictured here:

KISS-11-1520-2.jpg
KISS-55-0207-2T.jpg

I installed a new stem and that did not fix the leak, so I removed the seat and installed a new seat. Still did not fix the leak, so I removed the stem and replaced the screwed on washer in case the old seat had messed it up. Still did not fix the leak.

So now I am thinking about buying another new stem to try, just in case this one is somehow faulty.

I will need a 2nd stem anyway for the hot side, I am only working on the cold side right now because there is a visible leak at the cold stem/handle. I am under the assumption that a bad stem/seat at the hot side would not cause any leaks on the cold stem, right?

Any other advice or things I should try? Perhaps remove the new seat and try to clean out any buildup there?

Not sure what the next step would be after replacing the stem and seat.

Also, I didn't use any pipe compound or tape on the seat - only used plumbers grease on the seat and stem.

Thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I installed a new stem and that did not fix the leak
Tell us about the leak. Does it leak continuously, even though it has not been used for hours?

Is the leak from the spout, or elsewhere?

LeeMort

Reaction score
Sorry about that, thought I had included that info.

It is leaking out the front of the stem by the handle, and also dripping at the spout. The spout drip is continuously, continues to drip all day.

The leak at the stem is only while being used with water on.

I did notice that the cold stem will leak if the hot water is turned on, while cold is still closed.

I've also noticed that if I take a long, hot shower, the spout drip will slow down quite a lot, sometimes to barely dripping. If I run cold water, then the spout drip is very bad and sometimes a trickle. This was making me think the hot water must be expanding washers or something?

Reach4

Reaction score
It is leaking out the front of the stem by the handle, and also dripping at the spout. The spout drip is continuously, continues to drip all day.
If you close the valve before the water heater, how does that affect dripping at the tub?

I've also noticed that if I take a long, hot shower, the spout drip will slow down quite a lot, sometimes to barely dripping. If I run cold water, then the spout drip is very bad and sometimes a trickle.
If you run cold water in the kitchen? If you are talking about running cold water at the tub, then water coming out of the spout is normal. So you must be talking about running cold elsewhere.

LeeMort

Reaction score
No no, only talking about the tub here. When I say cold water running at tub, what I mean is if I run the cold water for a bit and then shut it off, then the spout continues to drip/leak after closing the cold handle off. In other words, running cold water makes the spout drip worse.

Running hot water for a length of time makes the drip from spout (after closing handle) minimal.

Either way, the spout is always dripping and the cold water stem leaks while water is running at tub

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks