Leak under sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Alec Sprinkle

Reaction score
Greetings all. New member here. Very long story short, almost everything in our bathroom vanity is getting replaced. I have no knowledge of plumbing or anything, so youtube has been a help on the basics. Unfortunately, there's a leak now. I have a new faucet on a new countertop. The piping and pvc all seem fine. The drip is coming from where the faucet is mounted to the granite. I have that black nut tightened down as much as I can get with the basin wrench, and it's still dripping after a few moments. Only if the cold tap is flowing, though (from the sink, not the shut off). Is the faucet malfunctioning? I was planning on removing the faucet and taking it back, but the nuts holding it on are plastic and the tightening pieces are broken. I can attach pictures if that helps.

Question: Do I need to replace the faucet? How do I remove the nuts? Can I just caulk where the water is leaking out on the underside? Will water pool inside the faucet and mold? Will I ever stop hitting my head on the sink? Sorry my questions are probably dumb. I don't know what to do.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An internal leak on a faucet isn't going away. It's best to repair or replace it.
Yes, a picture would help here. 800 pixels or less.

Alec Sprinkle

Reaction score
Here's a photo from the under the sink looking at the cold inlet. See how the places I should be able to tighten with are busted?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 2.12.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 2.12.56 PM.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 152

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you sure the leak is from up by the granite and not below that where the white PTFE tape is?

Alec Sprinkle

Reaction score
Yes. It's dripping from between the black piece and the granite.

The sink has to be on for about a minute or so before it starts dripping.

Robert Berg

Reaction score
You might want to check to make sure the faucet handle(s) is tight, especially if it's a single handle faucet.

Last edited:

Alec Sprinkle

Reaction score
It's two handle. I'm attaching a photo of it. It's a Kohler Lilyfield faucet.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 141

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
take it loose. hook up the supply tubes. Hold the assembly over a bucket and investigate carefully. you'll find it. If it's a brand new faucet, take it back and trade them for one that doesn't leak

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks