Lead Bend Repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
This forum helped me through the same problem and it came out great! I am not a plumber but have done lots of DIY projects and have experience with soldering. My toilet in my 1997 home was wobbly so I took it off and was surprised to find a lead bend. In fact it was pretty badly damaged and not even bolted to the floor! Someone had attempted to solder it but clearly did a bad job. I was very worried that I'd have to replace the lead bend which is encased in the concrete foundation.

I bought a deep brass flange online, roughed up the inside surface and then pre-soldered it with 60/40 solder. Then I cleaned up the lead bend and carefully tapped it back into shape so the flange would fit. I had to pour some new concrete patch to raise up the flange so it sat on the level of the finished floor. Then I drilled 4 holes to screw in 1/4 inch Tapcons and anchored it down. Unfortunately one of the tap on screws broke off in the hole but at least I got 3 in there.

Once the flange was anchored I applied flux to the outside of the lead bend and tapped it out against the flange. To solder I used a propane torch and was really careful to heat the flange just barely to the point where the solder would melt and suck into the joint. I added solder as I went, even though I had pre-applied solder. I wanted to make sure the gap was completely filled.

It really wasn't too difficult and I feel really good about the end product. It seems like it will last longer than the house now! Thanks everyone.

Bravo.

Many times it is not cost effective to tru to remove the existing lead band unless it is cracked /deteriorated by the brass ferrule

If the lead if really corroded I just open (Flair) the existing lead pipe clean as far down as possible and place another lead pipe inside and use a cup joint and then solder the new flange onto the lead pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks