Laundry sink install

Users who are viewing this thread

Stratosproject

Reaction score
EDITED*** initial post updated and irrelevant plan removed... If that's a no-no please let me know! Just trying to keep the post relevant to anyone reading now or in the future.

Per the previous, I am attempting to install a laundry sink next to my washing machine and still keep the standpipe. I confirmed that as of today we use 2020 MPC here after talking with the inspector and verifying on the DLI website. Seems to be based upon UPC based upon the foreword. After a chat with the inspector a new plan was drawn up that should meet code. Just a couple issues that I was hoping for seasoned opinions on.

First, the existing load bearing wall. Code allows me to bore 40-60% if studs are doubled with no more than two successive doubled studs. Technically it can be done to code for my purpose, but I don't love boring 2" drains and 1.5" vents through two studs, basically killing the bearing capacity of 1/3 of the wall. While I doubt anything will collapse, I don't really want anything cosmetic to pop up in the bathroom above (drywall/tile cracks, soggy floor, etc). I have lumber, time, and an extra 3.5" of space and was considering just framing in a non-bearing 2x4 partition wall in front of the existing bearing wall to run utilities, which I could then run unencumbered through 3 stud bays. You guys see this stuff everyday and me... not so much. This seem like cheap insurance or am I being anal and creating extra work where none is necessary? I do tend to over-engineer anything I build because I am not a SE.

Second, per the plan below. When it comes to the two tees referenced (one from the main vent stack to auxiliary vent, and then from the new 2" tub drain to the 1.5" vertical auxiliary vent), should I just use regular DWV tees here? I tried finding them locally and can only find sanitary tees to varying degrees. I found that odd and then second guessed if I was hunting for the right fittings. Just trying to make sure I put in fittings with the right sweep.

Any other input or advice on the below would be appreciated before I tear into this. Thanks again!

laundry.JPG

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like every Joe Homeowner, I’m hoping to get some direction on adding a laundry sink to my washer standpipe using the 802.4.3.1 code.
If this job is in MN, per your profile, then you have a problem right there. [I didn't read your OP any farther.] 802.4.3.1 is an IPC code section, but MN uses the UPC. The UPC doesn't have any comparable allowance that I'm aware of. So you need to start over and come up with a plan that has separate traps for the laundry sink and for the washer standpipe.

Cheers, Wayne

Stratosproject

Reaction score
If this job is in MN, per your profile, then you have a problem right there. [I didn't read your OP any farther.] 802.4.3.1 is an IPC code section, but MN uses the UPC. The UPC doesn't have any comparable allowance that I'm aware of. So you need to start over and come up with a plan that has separate traps for the laundry sink and for the washer standpipe.

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne, thanks for taking time to reply. I had called the city, so I'm guessing the person I spoke with didn't actually know lol. I'll take this back to the scratch pad!

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
Although the state code is based upon UPC, not every county has adopted the state code, so the person you spoke with MIGHT have been correct. You'll need to dig a little deeper to be sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks