Laundry Pump and Kitchen Sink Gurgle

Users who are viewing this thread

RB771

Reaction score
Hi, I've found really good advice on the forum over the years and have a question regarding the plumbing of a laundry tub pump. The pump and kitchen sink empty into a common drain line and the sink drain will gurgle when the pump operates. The attached photos show the plumbing configuration and there is an additional photo of the vent stack termination which shows an internal design restriction.
This photo shows the kitchen sink drain/vent (left) and the pump discharge (right) connecting to the drain. These are the only drains on this line.
50113540987_b15af4122e_m_d.jpg

The following photos show the overall plumbing of the laundry tub pump in the basement and the kitchen sink drain and vent on the first floor. I had to move the vent line over several inches to facilitate a kitchen remodel. The original laundry tub pump was a Shellback and discharged into the trap just before the drain line. I reduced the pump discharge pipe from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" to use the existing plumbing with the Liberty 404 pump. (I am looking at options to vent the laundry tub pump intake vent to the outside but that's another topic).
50116039818_de466ec63d_m_d.jpg
50116046953_619d34b52f_m_d.jpg

This is the restriction looking from the top of the vent stack termination. It narrows enough that I can't get a garden hose past it and my borescope is too big to make the turn to look into the vent. I can hear water draining when listening at the vent stack but I don't know if there is any blockage in the vent.
50116039623_67c3cc7f9c_m_d.jpg

I would very much appreciate any help for the following questions:
1) Could the discharge from the pump across the sink/vent wye affect the venting? I've read on the forum that a flat wye that is a vent shouldn't be flat on the drain.
2) If I moved the pump discharge pipe downstream of the sink/vent pipe would this help the venting?
3) Is the restriction in the vent stack design restricting air flow enough to significantly affect the venting?

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks