Kohler canister style toilet running after flush

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Yang, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Yang

Yang New Member

i have a five year old Kohler toilet with their canister style design. Once in a while, several days, after normal flush, the water will keep running. The tank is not filled. I just need to jiggle the handle a couple of times, it will go back filling the tank and everything seems to be fine. It is very annoying since I don’t know when it will run after flushing.

Before I start to replace something, where should I start? Thanks so much.

Arthur Brewer likes this.
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Lift the lid on the tank, and see what you can see. Chain twisted? Something else?

When you jiggle, watch what happens then.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Yang

Yang New Member

I didn’t see anything abnormal except the canister is not sealed. By jiggling the handle, started to fill the tank. I didn’t notice the obvious twisted chain.

5. Yang

Yang New Member

This is how my toilet looks like. When it is running, the tank is not filling. don't think it is due to twisted chain either.

Attached Files:

6. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Start by replacing the rubber seal at the bottom of the canister. Clean off the area where the bottom of the canister seals against the rest of the flush valve. Make sure no dirt or gunk is keeping the canister from falling back down to seal. One of those should fix the problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2017
  7. Yang

Yang New Member

I spent this week closely monitoring this toilet. What I noticed, every time after the flush, the black canister moved closewisely a little bit. Over the time, the chain is stretched too far and the canister fails to fall completely. Should I go ahead replacing the canister?

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I wonder if a bead chain would ignore the twists. This says it is for American Standard, but maybe you could adapt it or some other beaded chain.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Flush-Valve-Chain-for-American-Standard-88408/205172174 [​IMG]

9. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    Had a flash of brilliance that really wasn't. Never mind.

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Was it to put a fishing swivel in line with the chain? Maybe one rated for salt water?

11. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    No, but I like the way you think. I thought it might be that the chain was hooked onto the flush arm in an uncentered location, as many arms have several holes that can be used. Then I looked back at the picture he posted and saw that there was only one spot to hook the chain up to. Ran out of prepositions on that one.

12. Megan m

Megan m New Member

Did you ever figure out the solution? I have the exact same problem- plumber told me we probably need to buy an entire canister. Was that the case for you?

13. Mac1

Mac1 New Member

I’m not to that point. Haven’t consulted a plumber yet. My toilet is not standard due to the “rough in” measurement. The angles and chain length differ from my other two toilets purchased at the same time. I need to figure out how to keep the chain from wrapping around the canister. Maybe some type of sleeve around the chain. I would replace the canister but it’s not worn out.