Kitchen strainer threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kauf

Reaction score
Hi there and thanks for all the good info you folks share. I am attempting to rid my life of thin, plastic, crappy sink/ptrap pipes universally sold nearly everywhere and switch to sched 40 DVW piping for sinks.

Something like depicted in the photo below:
Sched 40 Sink Piping.png

See above where it says "Female Threaded Fitting"? That is a 1 1/2 inch pipe. However, the standard 1 1/2" inch threads don't seem to fit/mesh with that male section of the strainer (don't go in more than 1/4 inch before tightening0. Not sure what is going on here. Bad strainer? Different threads? ???????

Also thinking of adding a union or two so that the drainage system can be disassembled when needed.

Any thoughts? Does anyone make a sched. 40 tailpiece (after an extensive search I can't find any)?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Buy Mission couplings 11/2 x 2 " as I never use 11/2 for a kitchen waste

If you have no choice then a mission Coupling (NEVER Fernco) 11/2 IPS x 11/2 tubular and do away with the threads

By having either no hub couplings every coupling is a possible cleanout as they can be easily loosed and then the line snaked

Reach4

Reaction score
The piece you want to transition schedule pvc to a normal tailpiece is a trap adapter.

I would not do what you are planning, but others may disagree. At least leave enough pipe through the wall that somebody could cut and glue on a trap adapter in the future to allow converting back to slip. If you want to change sinks or disposals or add a disposal later, all glue can make things hard.

Here is a compromise that you may find acceptable. Put the trap adapter at the wall, and use chromed (or unfinished) brass tubular fittings to the drain. You can opt for 17 gauge instead of 20 or 22 gauge.

If you do go all glued, at least add a cleanout so that you don't have to rod through a glued trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The drain threads are "rolled" not cut so they do NOT engage a pipe thread properly. They are intendd for the slip nut, washer, that comes with the drain, and a flanged drain tailpiece into a slip nut fitting of some kind.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 1.5" PVC tubular is perfectly fine for domestic kitchen use. However not all PVC tubular is high quality. Stuff you find at the box store is thinner and more flexible than what I buy at the plumbing wholesaler.

In order to avoid the common problem HJ mentions starting with a quality basket strainer with machined threads will do wonders with what you can thread onto the basket. Buy Kohler duo strainers K-8799.

If you're installing DWV fittings from the basket to the wall, start at the basket using a swivel adapter and build down. It looks like a female or cleanout adapter, but the female threaded portion rotates freely, is not tapered and has a gasket to seal up to the basket. Use a couple shielded Mission or Fernco couplings to make maintenance less of a PITA with one being after the trap so the trap can be removed.

Part No. PVC 900 found in the following catalog.
https://www.charlottepipe.com/Products/Assets/02C-PVC_List_Price/PVC-119 (3-22-19).pdf

Kauf

Reaction score
Thanks folks! That gives me a number of options that will work. The final setup will have an AAV valve at the top 8" of the vertical stack above the santee, so there is a cleanout built in after the trap. Appreciate your wisdom and experience. Couldn't find any answers any where else ; )

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi there and thanks for all the good info you folks share. I am attempting to rid my life of thin, plastic, crappy sink/ptrap pipes universally sold nearly everywhere and switch to sched 40 DVW piping for sinks.

Something like depicted in the photo below:
View attachment 56436
See above where it says "Female Threaded Fitting"? That is a 1 1/2 inch pipe. However, the standard 1 1/2" inch threads don't seem to fit/mesh with that male section of the strainer (don't go in more than 1/4 inch before tightening0. Not sure what is going on here. Bad strainer? Different threads? ???????

Also thinking of adding a union or two so that the drainage system can be disassembled when needed.

Any thoughts? Does anyone make a sched. 40 tailpiece (after an extensive search I can't find any)?
They make fittings like these in 90s straight and tees. That are specifically meant for basket strainers

Screenshot_20210518-062337_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks