Kitchen Drain run

Users who are viewing this thread

Carm

Reaction score
I'm getting mixed messages regarding a kitchen drain run that i need to run about 24 feet around a corner, is it possible to do this and what would i need if so?
Thank You

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You'd need a plumber or very experienced handy person with plumbing skills. You can run unlimited lengths on drains as long as cleanout is provided at use proper drainage fittings.

Carm

Reaction score
You'd need a plumber or very experienced handy person with plumbing skills. You can run unlimited lengths on drains as long as cleanout is provided at use proper drainage fittings.
Thank you for your input Breplum, I am capable of doing the job but not familar with the plumbing codes to do the job. Im hearing that a 2'' pipe would be needed to help with the venting and if a clean out is needed it would have to also go where the bend is going around the corner. With it going around a corner and if a 2'' pipe is needed, what is the gradual slope inches per how many feet?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
2" is required. UPC distance from trap to vent is less than 60". Trap arm grade is 1/4" per foot. Minimum drain grade is 1/4" per foot.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got it, so a 24ft run with 2" pipe around a corner is not do able?
Around a corner? yes we use fittings to change direction technically we dont need a straight line we can zig zag and go anywhere as long as we follow certain guide lines (code) around a corner meaning structural members we would need more info I suppose you could colaps a house if it was really silly obviouslly if you cut studs in half that stud becomes pretty worthless

Reach4

Reaction score
Got it, so a 24ft run with 2" pipe around a corner is not do able?
You would vent closer to the trap. You would want to drop 6 inches or more over that 24-ft path.

I remember reading that Canada allows AAVs for venting, but wants the AAV 6 inches above the flood plane.

Carm

Reaction score
Thank You all for your inputs, You guys are amazing and again thank you for all your help.

Yes, the 24' run would be around a corner in the finished basement with no structural issues, I would have to take down some drywall and studs to do the job and build it back up, but would 2" pipe be sufficed for a 24" run along with the AAV in place?
Also, would I need a clean out closer to the 90-degree bend or can 2 45-degree fittings work without the clean out if it were needed?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every 135° of bend should have a cleanout. The kitchen sink drain is 2" minimum. It needs to be ran at 1/4" of fall per foot of run. Any vertical to horizontal or horizontal to horizontal turns should be long sweep 90's or two 45's back to back.

Carm

Reaction score
Thank you, John, and everyone else I think I have what I need to do the job. As I Mentioned previously, I am able to do the job but didn't know the specifics or codes to doing this 24" run around a corner. This wouldn't have been possible without your help I appreciate everyone's help.

Thank You Terry for having this forum in place to help people communicate with one another.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks