Kinetico Neutralizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave N

Reaction score
ISesem902jwtio0000000000.jpg
New homeowner with an old Kinetico system, softener, neutralizer and salt tank. System looks like it hasn't been used in years and was put in in 97 and last serviced on 07. Water test shows 54 mg/l for hardness and 6 for PH. Figure I need a neutralizer and was wondering if I can wash out and reload the Kinetico neutralizer as a stand alone unit? If so how much of what should I be putting in tank after cleaning
Thanks in advance
Dave
66004018_zpid

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would say you got your moneys worth. Since you are on your own well, when was the last time you had a water test done? I would strongly recommend getting an updated comprehensive water test completed.

Dave N

Reaction score
Water test readings from lab were all fine as of yesterday except for the 2 values I listed 54 mg/l for hardness which is real low and soft and the PH of 6. Just wondering if I can reload the neutralizer and with what for the PH.
Dave

Reach4

Reaction score
Calcite would be the media. It would raise your hardness, however. I don't know how to open your tank. Backlighting with a bright light in a dark room lets you check the level.

An injector system, using perhaps potash, would raise the pH without raising hardness.

Dave N

Reaction score
From every thing I have found it is an upflow tank
Question is salvage this with a flush and refill or go new, either another same sized stand up unit or the disposable cartridges in a 20 in housing that I wall mount. 1 bath and 2 adults for usage

ditttohead

Reaction score
A 20" filter would not be able to replace this large tank.
Calcite requires contact time, a 20" filter would have virtually no affect on your water if the water ever flowed above .25 GPM

Have you opened the tank to see what it looks like inside? With any luck the media inside will be granular, and not brick like. If so you typically would dump out the tank, sanitize it with a little bleach and water, rinse and refill. You could just add more media but considering how old it is... empty, sanitize, refill would make the most sense.

Dave N

Reaction score
Opened it up and got it mostly rinsed out Some granular but mostly white mush but the tube going to the bottom is pretty clogged up at the end with the spray? end to distribute the water in the tank. Probally why it was shut off, No water flow and a lot of brown sediment in the bottom. Best choice is to buy a new tank as I wouldn't be comfortable using this one. Thanks for the info
Dave

Dave N

Reaction score
KIMG0657.jpg
What came out Still is a inch or two of brown sludge at bottom of tank Guess 20 years of sediment clogged the feed tube to bottom of tank

Reach4

Reaction score
Dave, a backwashing calcite filter will need a certain flow rate. So that would need to be taken into account. When your submersible pump runs, what is the minimum run time. What model pressure tank is that? With those two pieces of info, we can estimate how much water your pump produces.

Also, do you get a bang when the pump turns on?

Dave N

Reaction score
No bangs Tank was replaced with a new 32 gal tank and pump is 1/2 hp, 5 gpm and 200 feet down. No idea on run time of pump. Only wife and myself in house Normal showers and dishwasher runs 2x-3x a week. Pressure in house runs 40-60 psi but a little lower during showers

Reach4

Reaction score
No bangs Tank was replaced with a new 32 gal tank and pump is 1/2 hp, 5 gpm and 200 feet down. No idea on run time of pump. Only wife and myself in house Normal showers and dishwasher runs 2x-3x a week. Pressure in house runs 40-60 psi but a little lower during showers
So your pump can only support 5 to 6 GPM on a sustained basis. Either your backwashing would have to be done in bursts, or your calcite tank would be limited to maybe 9 inch diameter. Maybe 10. How long does your pump run at a minimum? Backwashing in bursts is practical with the right controller, so you could have backwashing and a little bigger calcite tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Upflow has the potential for channeling. If you could get in and break it up periodically that could work. I don't know how many years that period might be.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Upflow is ok but it is typically recommended when the application has a known and consistent flow rate. Under certain water conditions the calcite can turn into a cement like clog. It appears your upflow system has worked fairly well so it can be ok in your application. Newer designs have an integrated refill head making maintenance much simpler. Or a dome hole is also a good solution for keeping the calcite tank replenished.

Here are some examples.
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/116-117

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks