Katalox Light Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Edge

Reaction score
I'm on a well, and have a water softener and an iron filter with Katalox Light in it. I've seen a few times where it was recommended to backwash Katalox with diluted chlorine. My question is, can chlorine be attached to the brine fitting on a Fleck 5810 SXT for the backwashing of this filter? One thought was what chlorine could do to the seals of the Fleck.
I don't have any issues, as the system isn't quite a year old yet. I was just thinking about things that could be done to make it last longer.
I might be over thinking this.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm on a well, and have a water softener and an iron filter with Katalox Light in it. I've seen a few times where it was recommended to backwash Katalox with diluted chlorine. My question is, can chlorine be attached to the brine fitting on a Fleck 5810 SXT for the backwashing of this filter?
Most backwashing filters don't have the parts needed to draw in a solution.

Ideally IMO the system would be designed for that, which means using a softener piston plus having the injector stuff that usually filters omit.

My backwashing iron filter sucks in a little over a gallon of solution for each regen. Solution is drawn from a 15 gallon tank that I refill with a jug of bleach, and top up with soft water. I set a "calendar " to remind me to reload the solution tank every 33 days.

So as to how to treat your KL tank, I am not sure what will work for you short of unscrewing the valve.

Randy Edge

Reaction score
Yes, you're right, I didn't think of that, the 5810 on the filter doesn't have an injector. So it is a possibility if I want to add the missing parts. Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into this more and see what my options are.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, you're right, I didn't think of that, the 5810 on the filter doesn't have an injector. So it is a possibility if I want to add the missing parts. Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into this more and see what my options are.
You would have to also change the piston to a softener piston, and those are unobtainable right now.

You could put a cartridge filter housing in front of the filter. Put a chemical treatment into the housing, and then run water through very slowly.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Correct, parts are sparse to say the least. I just got in a thousand softener valves, but that's it, no parts, no filter valves. Do you have a filter ahead of the KL system? If so, just put some bleach in that and run it through the KL system.

Randy Edge

Reaction score
There's nothing ahead of it. I can look at installing a filter housing just for that purpose.

Reach4

Reaction score
There's nothing ahead of it. I can look at installing a filter housing just for that purpose.
Another idea that comes to mind would be to turn off the pump. Then put a small utility pump in a bucket. The output of the pump would be to the drain valve for the pressure tank, and the bucket would get refilled from a tap as close after the KL tank as practical. You circulate solution. When done, you would take care to rinse your solution out before running the water into the house.

So what to use? Bleach solution, peroxide, Iron Out would be my candidates.

Here are some threads to peruse if you have not done so:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/iron-out-to-clean-katalox-light.75658/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....my-searching-shows-nowhere-to-purchase.90334/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks