Just bought a home with a well, general question on well casing.

Users who are viewing this thread

BradTrinh24

Reaction score
So I have a hand pump about 25 yards away that I'm hoping is well water and not my city water. I'm wondering if it's coming from this? I'm not sure what this thing coming out the top of the well casing is. I'm hoping to top off my pond with water. Thank you for any assistance.
B6IlBDp_d.webp

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What happens when you open the valve? It appears to be only a 1/2 pipe, doubtful if it is a well of any kind.

Maybe the pipe leads to the pond?

Or, the pipe does come from the home to provide water and the 4" pipe is just a conduit for protection of insulated to prevent freezing?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is not likely to have a hand pump connected to city water. The water would smell of chlorine if it was? Can you get the cap off the top and have a look down?

BradTrinh24

Reaction score
What happens when you open the valve? It appears to be only a 1/2 pipe, doubtful if it is a well of any kind.

Or, the pipe does come from the home to provide water and the 4" pipe is just a conduit for protection of insulated to prevent freezing?
I haven't attempted to open that valve. I'll try later on today.

BradTrinh24

Reaction score
It is not likely to have a hand pump connected to city water. The water would smell of chlorine if it was? Can you get the cap off the top and have a look down?
I'll attempt to get the cap off and look down. I opened the handpump and had been filling my pond for a day before I thought to myself...this may not be well water. It just kept flowing the same rate all day. Does well water normally act like that? Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds more like a Frost Free Hydrant than a hand pump. You would be hand pumping until the cows come home to fill a pool. Lol! Then yes the hydrant could be city or well water. But the well is probably not the green pipe in the picture as there are no wires.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score

test for chlorine or chlorinamides. City water will have disinfection chemicals present. Water from a natural aquifer will not.

BradTrinh24

Reaction score

I opened the valve and nothing came out. Also there is a PSI gauge and the needle has broke off on the inside lol. Anyways, I didn't mention that I ran that handpump thing for 2 days straight into my pond to top it off. My water bill came and it was lower then it's ever been. My wife sent me a picture so I didn't get a chance to see if maybe it was before the cut off period or not. But I thought that was interesting.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Anyways, I didn't mention that I ran that handpump thing for 2 days straight into my pond to top it off. My water bill came and it was lower then it's ever been. My wife sent me a picture so I didn't get a chance to see if maybe it was before the cut off period or not.
Does the water meter have a readable number display? If so, the number should increment when water is used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks