junction box has come loose from brick wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Mitch_R

Reaction score
light box.jpg

I have a junction box that is screwed into the outside of a brick wall, but the two screws going into the brick are loose. Is there a preferred way to tighten this thing up (replace screws with bigger screws? some kind of adhesive behind the box to hold it to the brick?)?

Thanks,
Mitch

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Are you concerned that the cover is loose? The round box looks good from the picture.

There are holes already drilled into the brick, just popping in a new plastic anchor. Sometimes a larger anchor or use a larger screw If you have a good hardware store you might find a small lead anchor. Since this is up on the wall away from anyone hitting it, a more secure method is not necessary.

The cover to the box is obvious loose and probably one or both screws to the box has or was striped out. If the the two threaded holes are stripped, sometimes getting another #6 or #8 self tapping machine screw may work. I've seen many just jam in a drywall screw. It might work but they will rust out the threads will snap off at the hole the next time you ever need to access it. If the cover won't remain tight then you need to replace the round box. You have a threaded pipe to it so it would be fairly easy to replace.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some brick is fairly soft and can be problematic trying to get and keep a good anchor in it. A lead anchor, a plastic one, or a Tapcon screw all might work. It may take drilling the proper sized hole, or maybe making the existing one deeper to work. Should you decide to go with Tapcons, the size of the hole is critical if you want it to hold and make sure to blow out the debris in the hole, regardless of the method you choose. Failing to make the hole deep enough can be an issue. If it's in a wet area that has freeze/thaw cycles, moisture that may get into the hole or behind the box can put huge stresses on things, and eventually, fracture the brick enough to loosen a fastener or, potentially, crack one.

Mitch_R

Reaction score
Are you concerned that the cover is loose? The round box looks good from the picture.
My concern is just that the two screws that go into the brick aren't "gripping" the brick. I'm not sure if there were anchors at one point, but there aren't any now. I'm not really sure it's at risk of coming out/away from the wall, but I noticed the other day that the screw you see in the pic had come completely out of the hole and the other screw was partially out. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that well.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I use tapcons all the time but once the hole is too big for one it will never hold. It looks like there never was anything in the drilled hole except the screw.

Take out the two screws insert plastic anchors that will fit and reuse the screws. Even toothpicks in the hole will work. With toothpicks just coat them with glue. You'd be surprised how much grip you can get. There is a clamp over the pipe about six inches down. If that is tight the box will not fall out.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks