Jacuzzi Toilets - Era & Maxima

Users who are viewing this thread

rmatth

Reaction score
Does any one have any experieince with either the Jacuzzi Era toilet or Jacuzzi Maxima toilet? If so, what can you tell me about quality, flushing, etc?

rmatth

Reaction score
So if not Jacuzzi then what for a DIY? Help requested

So if not Jacuzzi then what for a DIY? I'm not reading anything here that gives Am Std or Kohler particularly high marks either. The Jacuzzis are $200 or less each.

I am in the middle of a remodel - replacing 3 bathroom toilets - Toto sounds like great quality, flushing action, and cleanliness but prices I'm seeing for the Totos like a Drake tend to be around $250 each.

Are there any other readily available manufacturers that offer above average quality, dependability, flushing, and cleanliness at a more affordable price?

California ratings tell you about flushing ability but nothing about quality, dependability, cleanliness, or cost.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Luckyone

Reaction score
If you look at the latest Toilet MAP test (13th edition), you'll see that the ERA toilet (at Lowes) has been rated with a MAP test of 1000 grams. It is the best deal for a ADA, high-performance toilet. I just bought 2ea of them for my rental home. I always look at the MAP toilet test results, you need a good flushing toilet.

Good luck!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto is probably the best brand going. If you are determined to go really cheap, then good luck, but if you want quality at a reasonable price, it would be hard to beat a Toto Drake.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I, too once believed MaP test results were the be all end all.

Toto did not send them out for testing.

MaP testing only tests with plastic wrapped paste.
Toto believes that the paste should remain in it's normal state.
It floats better that way, and it's stickier.
By the way, Toto is the one that came up with the original test in the first place. I think they know what they are doing.

I install many toilets in my home and those of relatives and friends to get a better idea of how they work in the real world.

MaP tests only one thing.
I'm looking for about ten things.
I'm "not" surprised that my list is different.

The Soiree is much like the Carlyle in performance.
They both have a siphon jet flush and use a Unifit adapter for the lower trapway.
Both John Koeller of MaP and I agree that anything over 500 grams is overkill.
And in fact bowls with high numbers may suffer from lack of bowl rinse or wash.

I get toilets from manufacturers sometimes.
Sometimes I get them from suppliers, and I have even installed units I have removed from homes, just to get an idea of what's out there.
A lot of the input is from homeowners and plumbers, that I collect.
I believe the more eyes the better.

I look at the MaP ratings, however once the rating is 500 grams, that lets me know it will move waste.
Some of the higher scores will sometimes be at the expense of bowl rinse.
Homeowners are still concerned with bowl rinse.

I also like to see how they assemble, and what the quality control is, I don't like to find chipped porcelain that has been sanded or patched at the factory and shipped.
If they are going to chip them, they should keep them.

Can I get parts?
What are the noise levels?
Does the handle stick?
Part of the equation is time lost on replacements and repair.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So if not Jacuzzi then what for a DIY? I'm not reading anything here that gives Am Std or Kohler particularly high marks either. The Jacuzzis are $200 or less each.

I am in the middle of a remodel - replacing 3 bathroom toilets - Toto sounds like great quality, flushing action, and cleanliness but prices I'm seeing for the Totos like a Drake tend to be around $300 each.

Are there any other readily available manufacturers that offer above average quality, dependability, flushing, and cleanliness at a more affordable price?

Thank you

If you are debating about saving $100 per toilet, well, not sure what the forum can do for you.

I used to own a used Mercedes. When I was shopping for it, I bought a book that said, "The most expensive car in the world is a cheap Mercedes-Benz." Meaning that you will sink a lot of money into a poorly maintained car...

If you buy toilets that don't work, you either get used to plunging often, and live with that frustration, or you pull them up and replace them.

I replaced all 3 toilets in my house with Toto's - 1 Soiree, 1 Gwyneth. Put 'em in myself with the help of this forum. Great bowl wash, and able to handle amazing quantities of you-know-what.

My 2 cents: go for the Drake (or some other Toto) and don't look back. It's a small price to pay in the long run for a much-used household fixture that should last you a lifetime.

abak_soiree_1.jpg

TOTO Soiree pedestal lav, faucet and toilet suite

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks