Making a temporary water line from meter to house

Users who are viewing this thread

livemusic

Reaction score
It's hard to make this short and I'm trying, lol. This boils down to... I have a continuing squabble with the city about the metered water usage at my house. I tried to get this problem ironed out August of last year. They didn't come through on their end and now I get a big bill. Suffice to say, I am now going to assume I have a leak and it's significant... 1,000 gal/day. That's what they just billed me! I will fight them on that due to my attempts to get it fixed long ago and their man never showing up. As for how would I not be able to see a 1,000/day leak, we have had a horribly rainy winter, we are 20 inches rain above normal! So, you couldn't tell what's going on in the yard. When I turn the main valve off, it reads zero now. She said they changed the meter, I can't tell. Why they never alerted me to the supposed change is another beef... what with my ongoing inquiry about the meter and the billing, they should have alerted me to a meter change. Anyway, if I open it, it does show water flow even if everything is 'off' in the house. So, I assume I have a leak and I assume it's outside. Nothing inside the house is leaking far as I can see.

It is SO wet, it's hard to dig and when you do, it fills with water. I empty my hole and it fills in with water within ten minutes. Over and over again, I pump it out dozens of times and I don't see it slowing down. Could be the ground is so saturated, I could do this for weeks? So... I am thinking... it's between the house and the street (meter). But where? If I had to guess, I could narrow it down to about 100 feet. But it's a total of 400 feet house to meter. I don't want to dig the whole thing up but I guess I might need to? Replace the whole thing? House was my parents, it's 60 years old, and I assumed every pipe around the house has been replaced with PVC but I do not know about the house to meter line. Whatever... replace whole thing or just find the break and fix?

I thought of getting a trencher or even a backhoe but either will cost quite a bit? And the ground is so soggy! It will be hard to find a man who can dig that up by hand like we used to do but I guess I might be able to find somebody. My health at this time is not such that I can dig that much. I give out due to age and heart disease.

What about running some kind of line from the meter to my house, above ground, until my yard dries up. Heck, it's going to rain some more. It might be a month or two before the water table lowers. What kind of line? A roll of plastic pipe? I don't know much about this stuff. At least, I would have water at my house.

As for a fix, I also thought of installing a valve at where I think the leak-probable area is, say, 300 feet from the meter. Then turn on the valve and see if the meter runs. That would mean it's between there and the meter. Kind of isolate it. But I don't know how much trouble it would be to install a valve.

Any ideas? If you do, try to detail it, as I do not know as much as you guys. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
When I turn the main valve off, it reads zero now.
Are you saying that when you turn off the valve at the meter, the meter stops registering flow? But when you open that valve, but close the valve for incoming water at the house, the meter shows considerable flow?

You could install a valve mid-way, and know whether that stops the flow. That would cut the digging in half. You might also be able to tell where the leak is by which ground is soggier. Too bad it is all soggy at the moment.

I thought of getting a trencher or even a backhoe but either will cost quite a bit? And the ground is so soggy! It will be hard to find a man who can dig that up by hand like we used to do but I guess I might be able to find somebody. My health at this time is not such that I can dig that much. I give out due to age and heart disease.
You might find somebody who will come out and do the trenching at a reasonable rate.

Attachments

• img_2.png
    img_2.png
    122 KB · Views: 188

livemusic

Reaction score
Are you saying that when you turn off the valve at the meter, the meter stops registering flow? But when you open that valve, but close the valve for incoming water at the house, the meter shows considerable flow?

You could install a valve mid-way, and know whether that stops the flow. That would cut the digging in half. You might also be able to tell where the leak is by which ground is soggier. Too bad it is all soggy at the moment.

You might find somebody who will come out and do the trenching at a reasonable rate.

There is no valve at the house. Hardly ever see that down here in this locale.

Turn valve off at meter, shows no flow. Turn valve on at meter, meter shows flow, even if I cannot detect any leak in the house, and everything is off and the toilets are not leaking.

livemusic

Reaction score
...What about running some kind of line from the meter to my house, above ground, until my yard dries up. Heck, it's going to rain some more. It might be a month or two before the water table lowers and I dig without the hole filling so fast. What kind of line? A roll of plastic pipe? I don't know much about this stuff. At least, I would have water at my house...

This above is a key question at this time. help!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks