Is this correctly vented?

Users who are viewing this thread

trickedtenant

Reaction score
Hello,

Please tell me if this WH is vented correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_1028 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1028 Small.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Furnace and WH in small closet.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 56
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
NOT at all correct. Some idiot removed the "draft hood", which is critical for creating the draft necessary to carry the deadly carbon monoxide (CO) out of the unit.
It will take some challenging work to tear out all that you have at the furnace to make it right.
ALSO, the PVC A/C condensate line must be trapped and filled with water to prevent the furnace from blowing conditioned air out into the room.
Please make sure you have properly placed CO monitors in the house.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any Co blowing out the condensate. If your city or state code requires a trap it needs one but if not a trap is only needed if the ac coil is on the suction side of the blower. Take another pic or two of the flue pipe either going into a chimney or vertical pipe. Very surprised without the drafthood water heater hasn't had burner problems. Here's what a hood looks like.

trickedtenant

Reaction score
Thank you for this information.

I am renting this condo. I paid the rent for 6 months upfront so I could rebuild my rental history and secure a 12-month extension. I paid the landlord 11,900 and signed a fair lease. Then winter came and the upstairs master bedroom was freezing. The airflow from the heater vent was very weak compared to the bathroom vent, and second bedroom vent all on the second floor. The furnace ducts would make a loud thump when it cycled down. I asked the landlord to have the unit serviced. He refused at first. The repair person that came to look at the furnace was not a licensed HVAC person. He did not have any tools to test airflow except for his pocket-sized notebook. He held the notebook pages over the vents and said "See there is airflow."

My landlord retaliated against me after I complained about the furnace.
I asked him to bring over my copy of the lease. He showed up with a new lease with lesser terms. He said he lost the original lease. He made me sign the new lease as he already had my money. The extension was not honored and he served me with a notice to quit that will turn into an eviction.

Thank you, guys, for your input. I now have proof of his breach of the warranty of habitability.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would expect that condensate should be 6 inches from a s/w vent connector . shouldnt be c/o blowing through your system even if the condesate was trapped it would still be blowing all through the house.
Of cource major issue that w/h vent not having a vent hood

trickedtenant

Reaction score
More pictures. The A/C unit is outside on the balcony.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 66

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I would expect that condensate should be 6 inches from a s/w vent connector . shouldnt be c/o blowing through your system even if the condesate was trapped it would still be blowing all through the house.
Of cource major issue that w/h vent not having a vent hood
Sorry, of course no CO in the condensate...just conditioned air.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry, of course no CO in the condensate...just conditioned air.
What Im not always clear on is when they need trapped or not ? fitter says suction side needs it, I think if the indirect piping is over a certain length it requires trapped

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks