Is this an old style bathtub drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jose22

Reaction score
Hello
My bathtub drain seems a little different than others

i doesn't have spokes or crossbar it has 2 nipples (pictures provided)

I want to replace the shoe gasket due to a leak but i wasn't expected this kind of drain

Are you guys familiar with this style?

Also it looks like its a 2 piece drain kind of strange but then again im not a plumber so i dont know if its an old style
Thank you

IMG_20191208_120043.jpg
IMG_20191207_122839.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jose22

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer

The picture you provided looks similar to mine yes
but if you look closely at my pictures it looks like the top part (flange) is a separate piece from the thing that threads into the pipe shoe

My shoe piece is some kind of metal like brass or cast iron something like that its not pvc pipe

So like i said before probably an old style drain
And thats why i was wondering if anybody familiar with that type of drain

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your drain flange is one piece brass. It originally had a pop-up stopper on a rocker arm. These are quite common. The photo I used is from a American Standard drain from the 50s-60s. Most plumbers in my area use a "Smart Dumbell" for removal. The cut-outs on the side will lock onto the nipples protruding from your flange.

upload_2019-12-13_5-35-31.jpeg

upload_2019-12-13_5-33-16.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I made a removal tool out of 11/4" pipe cut two notches in it to remove these types of fittings

Some of my employees used channel lock handles and a screwdriver

No need to buy a special tool

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks