Irrigation system startup

Users who are viewing this thread

Dato Da

Reaction score
Hello,

I just started my irrigation system. In years past, when I open the main valve from inside the house, the water would stop at the underground boxes (I don't know what it calls, sorry) outside. This time, however, the water just flows right through to one of the zones and keep flowing. I double check that the timer is off, so that is not the problem.

The system was winterized by professional last year, and here are the pictures of the underground boxes.

Any suggestion on what may be going wrong, and how to correct this? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 319

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
Watch this video first to learn how an irrigation valve works.

They're called "valve cover box". It looks like three valves but they do not look familiar. First dig out the sand or dirt around them to almost to the bottom of the valve body for easy access and inspection. You really do not need any dirt or fill inside of these. All valve bodies have a solenoid that when 24v ac is applied to them, it opens the valve. By turning the solenoid about 1/4 to 1/2 turn it will open the valve. You should know which one it is by the vibration on the valve body when water if flowing. Give the solenoid a twist, counter clockwise to open it then clockwise to close it. If this doesn't work then the valve body is stuck open, maybe by debris or the diaphragm got very hard. If you know the brand and model you can get a rebuild kit. If not you'll need to change it out.

I got lucky on a google search, the solenoid (wires to it) is the T handle shape unit on the top of the valve. I cannot find the brand but it might be a china knock off.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/...?gclid=CNieo5K-ttQCFUU9gQod7zgE7w#description
2312_5899_large.jpg

Last edited:

Bill M Angelo

BILL ANGELO
Reaction score
Rust clogging of pipe can be the main reason for the blockage. This can be due to the buildup of rust, minerals or other junks in the pipe. First of all, look into the strainer for debris. If it’s badly corroded, replace it with a new one as this won’t cost you much. When you select the new one to be sure to buy it off the right size for your requirement. If this isn’t the problem, check for any obstruction in the faucet valve. This will require dismantling the valve, and turn the water back to remove the waste which has been building up in the faucet valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks