Irrigation Controller- Rain Detector?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by CCinPA, Jun 1, 2021.

1. CCinPA

CCinPA New Member

I need a controller where different zones be controlled by the Rain-detector. Here's my situation... I want the lawn to be controlled by the rain-sensor. But, I have flower-boxes that do not get rain, and I still want these to activate not dependent on the rain-sensor. Help?

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    All controllers that I know of only use one rain sensor for the entire system. What you'll need to do is use a second controller without a rain sensor active. Depending on your water source, either one of these would work. If you're tied to an a irrigation pump the garden hose controller will not work, however with a garden hose it would work great for drip irrigation at the flower boxes.

https://www.rainbird.com/products/esp-9v-battery-operated-controller
    https://www.rainbird.com/products/electronic-garden-hose-watering-timer

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. CCinPA

CCinPA New Member

I believe I found one that will work for me: Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller | Rachio

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Find the manual and be sure it uses a moisture sensor for each zone. Since it is not mentioned it most likely does not. Rain bird has moisture sensor for some controllers but not per zone.

I might be old fashioned but without a screen to look at and can only used a smart phone for programming and trouble shooting, I shy away from it. No other sprinkler tech, if ever needed, can work on it and you'll always need a WiFi connection. When I first started reading its marketing description, it reads like the NEST guys wrote it. All flash, we'll solve your problems, the learning part is so so, just like thermostats.