Iron Filter advice

Users who are viewing this thread

J1mb01

Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping somebody here could help me out with a recommendation, and an online source for reasonable price/quality iron filter.
Long story short, moved into a house that has a Culligan Super S 10x54 filter feeding into a dual tank Fleck 9000 softener, both units 15 years old. Super S has not been maintained with a bleach regeneration and seems pretty much fouled and has a constant leak out the regen tube, softener is working fine. Rather than do rebuild and re-bed of the Super S I’d like to get a new iron filter and install it myself.
Water specs:
Iron-1ppm
Manganese-none
Hardness-390ppm/23gpg
Sulfur- very slight smell on hot and cold.
Have some iron bacteria, mild orange/slime ring inside toilet tanks. No bacteria.

3/4hp sta-rite 200’ well, around 7-9gpm.
All pipe and valves are 1”.

From my research it seems a AGC maybe with bleach feed, or backwashing KL filter would work for this mild application.

Any advice?
Thanks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I have been testing the AIO with ozone system for a couple years now, so far I am very impressed with the simplicity and reliability of the design for low levels of iron and H2s and even low levels of iron bacteria. Iron bacteria can be a mess with AIO designs as this increases the bacterial levels. Chlorine injection is obviously the best but for lower levels it can be a little troublesome.

Ben der Dundat

Reaction score
I have been testing the AIO with ozone system for a couple years now, so far I am very impressed with the simplicity and reliability of the design for low levels of iron and H2s and even low levels of iron bacteria. Iron bacteria can be a mess with AIO designs as this increases the bacterial levels. Chlorine injection is obviously the best but for lower levels it can be a little troublesome.

I'm looking at the AIO3 model, which injects ozone instead of just air. Considering how lethal ozone is to bacteria, I can't imagine the iron bacteria level increasing. Do you have any knowledge on the AIO3 system? You mentioned the AIO with ozone, but not sure if you mean the AIO3. What did your system cost, approximately (no info on their website)?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks