Inside Air Handling Unit Is Not Turning On

Users who are viewing this thread

Bozo

Reaction score
I have a rental home and from what the tenant is telling me the interior AHU is not coming on but the outside unit is running.

None of the electrical panel breakers are tripped and he believes the unit is receiving power because when he turns the disconnect wall switch on and off the blower sounds like it wants to engage.

Where do I start to trouble shooting this unit?

The condensing unit and AHU are Ducane, fuel source gas not sure of the model number at the moment.

Thanks

Stuff

Reaction score
If the outside unit turns on and off that means the inside unit is powered - it powers the thermostat which controls the outside unit.
"blower sounds" normally means bad start capacitor or bad motor. Simple fix for an HVAC tech.

Bozo

Reaction score
If the outside unit turns on and off that means the inside unit is powered - it powers the thermostat which controls the outside unit.
"blower sounds" normally means bad start capacitor or bad motor. Simple fix for an HVAC tech.
Looked at it this afternoon it's Ducane 2 ton condensing unit and Ducane air handling unit with gas heat. The outside condenser comes on but the inside air handling unit (blower) is not turning on. The units were installed early 2000's and someone removed the metal access panel that covers the printed circuit board and I can't locate the AHU model number.

Any idea what the AHU model number may be?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
The furnace brand, model #, gas input info, etc are typically stamped into a foil label that is non-removable, usually installed onto the inside of the cabinet within the gas furnace section.

I had some time ago experienced intermittent issues with my furnace blower fan not starting. I could hear it humming so I knew it was receiving power. The blower would spin easily by hand with the power shut off. When it wouldn't start, I simply shut the power off, rotated the blower drum 1/8 turn and restored power which then caused it to run normally unless attempting to start again in the same 'dead' position. After replacing the motor, no further issues.

Bozo

Reaction score
The furnace brand, model #, gas input info, etc are typically stamped into a foil label that is non-removable, usually installed onto the inside of the cabinet within the gas furnace section.

I had some time ago experienced intermittent issues with my furnace blower fan not starting. I could hear it humming so I knew it was receiving power. The blower would spin easily by hand with the power shut off. When it wouldn't start, I simply shut the power off, rotated the blower drum 1/8 turn and restored power which then caused it to run normally unless attempting to start again in the same 'dead' position. After replacing the motor, no further issues.

Thanks I'll look tomorrow. I did spin the cage and restored the power but the unit did not come back on. The blower and compositor ae in an impossible position to check for proper function without some disassembly of the unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks