Identify iron filter Fleck valve model ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dudley

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to tell me the model number of the Fleck valve shown in the picture ? I can't see any model number on it.
The reason I ask is because its on an iron media filter tank and I want to figure out if there is an option for it to suck up solution in its backwash. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2447.jpeg
    IMG_2447.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 65

Bannerman

Reaction score
From your few photos, appears to be a Fleck 2510.

As it is currently configured as a Filter valve, it does not appear to be equipped with a brine valve which is what would be utilized to draw in brine or an alternate solution as you are intending.

Include some additional photos showing the full rear and sides of the valve direct on, and also a photo from the front with the timer panel swung open so as to view the programming dial located directly behind.

Dudley

Reaction score
Thanks. Looking at Flex 2510 manual it appears there is an additional part 'Injector Assembly' 60480-00 that fits where that little horizontal plate with two screws is on the top shown in the first photo. I'm guessing that allows injection in backwash. But how does this injector know when to suck in on backwash but not on regular flow ?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
An injector functions as a Venturi. Slow Rinse water flowing through the injector, creates a lower pressure zone (vacuum) which is directed to a side port fitting to braw brine from a softener's brine tank, or to draw in other solutions or sometimes to draw in air for an AIO filtration system.

Brine or solution draw is not performed during the backwash cycle. An additional cycle commonly named 'Draw' is required for the control valve to direct water flow through the injector. The water flow rate through the injector and the rate of solution draw is controlled by which injector is installed as each number or color of injector is rated for a specific flow and draw rate.

The Draw setting will typically be much longer than required to transfer the solution into the media as the slow rinse water which flows through the injector, is utilized to further push the solution through the media and to rinse the media.

Dudley

Reaction score
thanks for your answer. I'm aiming to add an injector assembly to the top of this fleck valve and then have it suck up some bleach via a tube during the draw cycle to clean out my iron media. I figure i also probably want a check valve in the tube to stop it blowing water out during the fill cycle.

Reach4

Reaction score
The conversion may take a lot more parts than what you are thinking about.

Bannerman

Reaction score
In addition to adding an injector assembly, I expect in the least, the filter piston will also need to be replaced with a softener piston.

I had previously requested a photo of the program wheel to determine its suitability for use with additional programming pins.

Dudley

Reaction score
I appreciate your responses.

How is a Filter Piston different from a Softener Piston ? I guess inside the injector assembly there must be a chamber where water flows during the draw cycle to create an injector suction. Does one not get this suction using a Filter Piston instead of Softener Piston.

Attached is photo of pin wheel. Ignore the duration of settings. I was experimenting with different back flow rates. The original back flow was configured at 5 gpm which is too low for the 12" tank of Katalox for which the nominal flow should be ~9 gpm. No amount of back flow, up to the point of blowing media out drain (14 gpm), would clear any iron residue. Inspecting ejected Katalox the beads are all black, coated in iron/manganese I assume. They don't clean with agitation. I see these clean with a dash of bleach, hence me want to inject some cleaning oxidant into the tank. Someone should make tanks with viewing window down side and simple injection port.

Attachments

• IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 51

Dudley

Reaction score
I added the injector to my Fleck valve. Looking at the injector I can see how it works. I run it and sucks during the draw cycle, but also spits out during other cycles, so to manually prevent this, and to control the amount of additive sucked up, I also have a little quick connect valve in the line. I suck in about a cup of bleach into the 12x52 iron filter tank during draw, turn the valve off, and have it sitting there (in bypass) for 24 hours. (I understand if I wanted to do this systematically with each backwash I would need to add the brine valve piston to the system, to manage sucking/spitting, and size all the little restrictors appropriately for correct dosing)

My Katalox media is all 'clumped up' (during backwash there are only wisps in one corner). I've read several threads on this board where people had this problem and battled with increasing backwash and manually attacking it. I'm hoping soaking in bleach will loosen it up in situ. Blowing out and capturing some media I can see it is black (see photo). Adding bleach changes it to tan color. The same effect can be obtained by aerating and waiting several hours. I don't know what the natural color of katalox is. I hypothesize that the black is a coating of depositing iron (2ppm) or manganese (0.5 ppm), and it is this coating that glues the Katalox together. So could the root cause of clumping be lack of dissolved air not backwash ?

IMG_2474 2.jpegIMG_2464 2.jpegIMG_2472 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks