I would like a booster pump, but

Users who are viewing this thread

Alberto de la Torre

Reaction score
I live just south of Salt Lake City, UT. It seems an impossible task to find somebody who really knows their stuff. Have any of the experts here ever flown to another city to do a job like a residential pressure booster? My mindset when I tackle any job is to do the best job possible so it doesn't have to be redone for as long a time as possible. What I'm thinking is to exchange photos & videos to get you the information you need to spec the system and ship the parts to me. Once I receive the parts, fly you out to do the work. Yes, this may add $500-$750 to the cost of the job, but my hope is that I'll have a top notch system which will be problem free for 5-10 years. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Midriller

Reaction score
What is the system? Residential home on well, city. Factory, farm/ranch. It will be tough to accomplish this as any professionals work with state licensing/insurance that would inhibit any work being done outside of our state. Information and guidance is something we can provide.

Alberto de la Torre

Reaction score
What is the system? Residential home on well, city. Factory, farm/ranch. It will be tough to accomplish this as any professionals work with state licensing/insurance that would inhibit any work being done outside of our state. Information and guidance is something we can provide.
It's a residential home on city water. I'm up on a hill. Plumbers have said input pressure is normal. I want to be able to run 2 showers and a sink with decent pressure. I was hoping what you do out of state has no bearing on your professional status in state. And I'm certainly not going to call anybody in Utah government to discuss what I'm doing in the privacy of my own home.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It's a residential home on city water.
The city may have a say on what and how you do things since you could possibly draw a vacuum on their system unless you go with an open cistern.

Many folks cannot make the distinction between flow and pressure were the loss of pressure is due to flow restriction.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just get a J5S pump and a PK1A and have a plumber install it.

Booster pump and CSV1A.jpeg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Cary shows a deep well pump in his pic but you would want the shallow well version. Of course the deep well pump is convertible to shallow well operation with the right attachment.

Alberto de la Torre

Reaction score
Sorry it's taken so long to get back on this thread. Just started a new job and it's got me tied up some wicked hours. So here's where the water main comes into my house. If I can find a local plumber, would I be instructing him to install the pump & csv right after the current pressure valve? (as seen in Water Main 1.jpg) Also, what voltage & amperage circuit to I need to get routed to the pump? Thanks.

Attachments

• Water Main 1.jpg
    Water Main 1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Water Main 2.jpg
    Water Main 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Water Main 3.jpg
    Water Main 3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Water Main 4.jpg
    Water Main 4.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 157

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. You have a pressure reducing valve, and you want to install a booster pump?
  2. In Water Main 4.jpg is that shroud and pipe there to let you add salt to a big white brine tank from a higher floor, or is that your new atmospheric water tank?

Alberto de la Torre

Reaction score
Ha, ha. This is in the basement. It's so they can fill the salt resevoir from the other end of the pvc pipe. That's another thing I'm trying to find somebody to service. I believe having that pressure reducing valve is code for Utah, but I'm no plumber. This is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible here. I can't find anybody/any business who has experience with this. I emailed a company who's vehicle I saw https://www.ketopumps.com/ on monday to see if they might take on this job. Still haven't heard back from them. Is this job so small no professional wants the work?

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a GHT (garden hose thread) water pressure gauge, and connect it where your hose is now. See what that pressure looks like. Check when no water is being used, and check during water use that is your motivation for the pressure boosting pump.

Alberto de la Torre

Reaction score
If we are running 1 shower, any other water use in the house dramatically lessens the flow. I'd like to be able to have 2 or 3 showers running at the same time with good flow.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Do like Reach says, then tighten the screw on the pressure reducing valve and test again. If you have a hose connection before the pressure relief valve you can test the pressure there. No need to boost pressure until you see what pressure you have without the pressure reducer.

Alberto de la Torre

Reaction score
I've had a plumber check the pressure. It was supposed to be adequate. The main comes into the house in the basement. There is one bathroom with shower there and two upstairs. None deliver the kind of flow I want. Won't a pump & csv deliver more gpm to all showers when water is flowing WITHOUT having to have a high static pressure?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sure a booster pump and CSV can increase the pressure and hold it strong and constant. This can help make up for low incoming pressure, pipes in the house being too small, restrictions from filters, and other things. But I would want to make sure that pressure reducing valve wasn't the reason for low pressure before I installed a booster pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks