I have a ut120 retention tank. Can I use it as the pressure tank in a well system?

Users who are viewing this thread

maplespring

Reaction score
I bought a used retention tank with the intent of using it as a pressure tank for my new well. Now, I am realizing that it may not work in that application. It is a model UT-120 manufactured by Structural North America. Is this possible? Does anyone have any experience using a retention tank in this manner? Thanks, Bill

Fitter30

Reaction score
Retention tank is used for mixing different chemicals to give them enough time to mix properly. Where a bladder tank has air pressure in the bladder. Tank volume varies with water pressure to give a buffer with the volume of pressurised water in a system so pump doesn't short cycle.

maplespring

Reaction score
Retention tank is used for mixing different chemicals to give them enough time to mix properly. Where a bladder tank has air pressure in the bladder. Tank volume varies with water pressure to give a buffer with the volume of pressurised water in a system so pump doesn't short cycle.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am aware of the purpose of the retention tank.

Currently the well system consists of a 2 wire 1HP red rocket pump 150 feet down a well tied to a generator. The entire system was damaged in a fire. So, I am rebuilding it from scratch and found the fiberglass UT120 used for $100.

The tank is fiberglass, and I am aware that they will not tolerate negative pressure. So, a negative pressure valve is required. Otherwise, my understanding is that the UT120 can function as a bladderless pressure tank. That being said, I have also read about galvanized tank systems using avc control. I know that Pentair makes a UT120 that has an available avc adapter. I assume that I could add an avc controller to my tank, but it seems that to do so involves more than just adding a part to the system. Somehow, air needs to be introduced into the flow. The other option is to manage the air in the system manually. I cannot find much online about do this. So, any input/ advice is appreciated.

I am open to any and all suggestions, pros and cons of a bladderless system versus a bladder system. I could always buy a small pressure tank and feed it into the retention tank if it would make my life easier.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use a retention tank as a regular hydro pneumatic tank. However, it will need an AVC or air volume control added to the tank to let out excess air. Then the air must be added using a bleeder orifice about 5' down the well and a control check valve with a Schrader before the pressure tank. These are high maintenance items and not much better than manually adding air as needed. You can see more on pressure tanks here. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pressure-tank-maintenance.20849/

Even with the proper air charge a 120 gallon pressure tank only holds about 30 gallons of water. Starting a genset for every 30 gallons used can be a pain. It is probably better to just let the genset run when using water, and control the pump with a PK1A and a 4.5 gallon size pressure tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
UT-120 is a 120 gallon tank. It could serve as an air over water pressure tank, but there are two things that would have to happen. You would need to add air, and you would need to remove excess air. Unless you were to attend to it manually, and add air thru a Schrader valve. Air gets absorbed into water, so needs to be replenished.

Typically these have a method that delivers air at a faster rate than it dissolves, and there would be an air release mechanism controlled by a float in the tank. That is called an AVC (air volume control).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks