I am done with Culligan

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Soldo

Reaction score
18 year old Culligan Silver Series. Long story short:
  • Stopped producing soft water about 4 mos ago
  • I replaced the resin with an appropriate product and amount
  • Water was soft for about a week, then hard again (by feel and also test strips)
  • The unit still consumed salt despite hard water
  • Used the PV Seal Rebuild kit (replaced the Seal Pack, Eductor Sleeve and Brine Piston)
  • Still consumed salt but water remains hard.
  • I have no idea what is wrong with this damn thing. I can say that the discharge into the sewer line during the "Fast Rinse/ Brine Refill" cycle is very salty
  • I give up. This thing is a money pit that never worked reliably for any meaningful period of time. Will replace with the Fleck product that has a lot more open source repair information, and even if the thing busts, the parts are a lot more reasonable.
Can anyone comment? Did I miss something? Am I a coward for giving up? If nothing else, please humor me...

Reader90

Reaction score
Fleck 58xx series is the way to go. Clack WS1 series are good as well. Model will depend on sizing of plumbing and potentially other things, e.g. well vs. city water, size of house (usage of water). I have experience with Fleck 5810 (both stx and xtr2) and Clack WS1 valves -- and have not been disappointed. I am also doing chlorine and organics removal using seperate tanks (so a tank/valve for softening and 2nd valve/tank for carbon to remove chlorine). Personally, I like the Fleck better -- just my opinion, easier to program I think.

Read more of the posts on the Fleck 5800/5810 or WS1 valve based systems. LOTS of info buried on this thread.....

Good luck!!

Reach4

Reaction score
. I am also doing chlorine and organics removal using seperate tanks (so a tank/valve for softening and 2nd valve/tank for carbon to remove chlorine).
I expect your carbon tank is first, followed by the softener.

Reader90

Reaction score
Correct. City water --> Carbon Tank/Valve --> Softener tank/valve --> home water supply (minus outside faucets, cold kitchen).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks