Hydronic NPT Fitting and Uponor TruFlow Elbow Tightening - Proper technique

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Rossn, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Rossn

Rossn Member

I have a remodel, where I am installing a lot of uponor stainless manifolds and other various distribution fittings. I want to make sure I am getting it right, and could use some guidance on how tight to tighten various NPT fittings. Most are brass, and the manifolds are stainless. Most are 1/2"-1", though there are some 1-1/4" TruFlow brass manifold elbows with a rubber gasket (A2620090) and they mention using silicone.

I'm planning on using 1/2" Blue Monster PTFE tape and Hercules Megaloc. A well known old timer in this area told me to go paste, 3-5 wraps tape, paste.

My question is how tight to go on the various fittings, since I am not a tradesman. Are there some general guidelines for knowing how tight to go on 1/2" through 1" fittings? I think I've also seen wrench sizes referenced.

Also, does anyone know about the gasketed Uponor TruFlow fitting, and how tight it should go? I'm assuming no dope or tape on it, since it is gasketed and calls for silicone.

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Rossn

Rossn Member

Maybe no one has input on the TruFlow elbow, but what about NPT fittings?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

My rule of thumb is hand tight plus 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns (2 turns if it's a straight segment, the range is for when you need fittings to point a certain direction). Maybe that should really be 1-1/4 to 2-1/4 or 1-2, sometime I get into trouble trying to get to 2-1/2 instead of stopping at 1-1/2.

If I recall correctly, Sylvan often quotes 3 turns by hand, 2 turns by wrench.

Cheers, wayne

5. Rossn

Rossn Member

thanks

6. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
    National pipe thread