Hybrid heatpump air to water options

Users who are viewing this thread

Morrelli

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have posted here a few times and still exploring options. I have a 30 year old LP American water heater supplying DHW and a loop to two separate air handlers for heat, upper and lower floors. Is it possible to replace the HWH with an air-water heat pump for heating needs as well as a/c and use a nacien or other tankless for DHW? Trying to eliminate as much LP use as possible and utilize as much solar and batt storage as possible. Outside of that a.combi boiler seems a potential.alternative but does.bot decrease my LP consumption as dramatically. Thanks in advance.

Fitter30

Reaction score
There are several manufacturers what your looking for but none will meet your needs for heating hot water max is around 110 to 120°.
Don't know if anyone is making a low temp air handler like the baseboards.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Need to look at btu's needed for heat. Thicker or more fins per inch will take more hp for a certain amount cfm. Cfm is more critical for ac than heat.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air to water heat pumps aren't usually capable of meeting heating needs. Generally the other way around. You might want to explore geothermal loops. They can do some cool stuff with those.

Morrelli

Reaction score
I wish I could. As this is an existing system with its challenges I'm pretty much stuck as is. I can pull the HWH and replace with a combi unit, which will update things a bit, and add some reliability but won't help me much with reducing LP use, (i think). Just trying to figure a way to rely more on electric as I am a victim of being a california resident with lots of solar advantage but rising LP prices.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Combi heaters are so so efficient because of condensing. Low return water temp under 130° lower the better above 87%. Might want to look into solar dhw

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take a look at chiltrix.com. They support using a single unit to provide DHW and space heating/cooling.

Cheers, Wayne

Morrelli

Reaction score
Combi heaters are so so efficient because of condensing. Low return water temp under 130° lower the better above 87%. Might want to look into solar dhw
I have looked into solar DHW but the recovery times are pretty steep. Sanden/Sandco does pretty well, so that's a potential option.

Morrelli

Reaction score
Take a look at chiltrix.com. They support using a single unit to provide DHW and space heating/cooling.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne. Interesting site. Any personal experience with their products? I don't believe I've ever heard if them before now. I'm not in the trade as you may have already picked up on but I'm a fanatical researcher of sorts.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. Interesting site. Any personal experience with their products?
I have installed one, but just for space heating/cooling, not DHW. It was a bit of a learning experience but seems to be working OK.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks